Non-calculus vs calculus-based physics for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

southpawcannon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking to knock out Physics I and II soon and want to know would it matter which one I took. Calculus-based seems to be geared towards those going into Physics, engineering, etc. I have no problem with math-tends to be my strength-but if the MCAT doesn't have a great deal of physics problems then I figured I'd settle for non-calc. The university I'm attending lists on its pre-med faq sheet the student can choose either one so I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't really make a difference for med school admissions.
 
I minored in math for my bachelors, took algebra based physics during my post-bacc, and got a 12 in the PS section of the MCAT. The PS section on my MCAT had more physics than general chemistry.

Really, the MCAT tests the most basic formulae and a lot of critical thinking. I don't believe one course is significantly better than the other at MCAT prep. Of course calculus and physics go hand-in-hand. Sounds like you won't have trouble with either course, and either way you go you'll get what you need for the MCAT.
 
I'm looking to knock out Physics I and II soon and want to know would it matter which one I took. Calculus-based seems to be geared towards those going into Physics, engineering, etc. I have no problem with math-tends to be my strength-but if the MCAT doesn't have a great deal of physics problems then I figured I'd settle for non-calc. The university I'm attending lists on its pre-med faq sheet the student can choose either one so I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't really make a difference for med school admissions.

I took non-Calc-based Physics and had no problem with the MCAT questions. The only place I've seen it make a difference was in admissions to a special research track (was it UCSF or Harvard? don't recall). Otherwise, I don't think it matters.