non-Canadian taking MD in Canada- can I secure residency after MD?

Started by adrianus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adrianus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am a non-Canadian non-US citizen planning to study MD in Canada. Is there a realistic chance for me to continue for residency/specialist training in Canada after I graduate? I am applying to McGill University.

The policy keeps changing and I couldn't find information specifically directed for my case. Will I be included in the first iteration or second iteration of residency matching? Will I be classified as IMG?

Thank you.
 
From the CaRMS website:

You can apply for PG training in Quebec if you did your MD in Quebec on a visa, but not in another province.

"In the case of Quebec medical students currently on a study permit in Quebec: A copy of the first pages of your valid passport as well as a copy of your birth certificate and of your study permit."
 
Last edited:
Can the same be said about MUN graduates too? From what i last heard is that foreign nationals can try getting residency positions in Newfoundland.