non-competitive year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
earlier in the year, as folks were deciding how many programs to apply to, the feeling was that ob/gyn was going to be a relatively easy match this year...

now that you folks are in the middle of interviews, it would be great to get an update...i am sure by now you have a feel of how the applicants look this year.

info like step 1/2 scores, grades, lors, class rank, number of programs applied to and how these correlated with the number of interviews and quality of programs would be very helpful. also, how did the males do????

thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Prior to the interview trail starting, I was pretty excited b/c I thought it was going to be an easy match year. However, it seems there are very good applicants out there this year. Several people I have talked to said they have record numbers of people going into ob/gyn this year from their schools. As to how competitive these applicants are, I can't say for sure. (no one really goes around saying their step 1/2 scores, research experience, etc). Several of the programs have said they were very impressed by the applicants this year. I think the field is in an up-swing. Probably b/c people are realizing it's the best field ever!!!! :) As for programs applied to, etc. I applied to 23 places and got interviews at 22 (wait listed on 1). I decided to interview at 15, which is probably too many. Out of the 5 programs I've been to so far, they have all been awesome. Everyone is really nice and it seems that you get a great education at each. As for the guys-you are a rare commodity and I think having a Y chromosome probably adds bonus points. Every program wants at least one guy in each class. So, if you have great board scores, etc you can probably match wherever you want. Hope this helps some.

Hey this looks like a good thread any takers? From my experience on the other end I haven't seen many people comment on interviewing at Indian-Purdue? As far as number it is up approx. 150 applicants over last year.

:) DIANE

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview at IU was a very positive experience. I really like the program and it seems like it would be an excellent place to train-and the moonlighting seems great. Plus, Indy seems like a great city to live in. The thing that bothered me about it was that 6/10 interns are FMGs. Not that FMGs are bad-it just seems that there are a lot of them all of the sudden when traditionally the program only took american medical graduates. Also, when I interviewed about half of the other applicants were FMGs. Was this just a bad year for IU or is something going on? Any comments?

Diane L. Evans said:
Hey this looks like a good thread any takers? From my experience on the other end I haven't seen many people comment on interviewing at Indian-Purdue? As far as number it is up approx. 150 applicants over last year.

:) DIANE

Are you referring to IUPUI? If so, my wife absolutely LOVED the program/residents/faculty. I got to visit the city as well and I thought the city was great. The residents also treated me wonderfully at the residents' dinner and I'm not even the applicant. I could see the city as my home.

minime said:
My interview at IU was a very positive experience. I really like the program and it seems like it would be an excellent place to train-and the moonlighting seems great. Plus, Indy seems like a great city to live in. The thing that bothered me about it was that 6/10 interns are FMGs. Not that FMGs are bad-it just seems that there are a lot of them all of the sudden when traditionally the program only took american medical graduates. Also, when I interviewed about half of the other applicants were FMGs. Was this just a bad year for IU or is something going on? Any comments?

AS far as the FMGs as you recall IUPUI has 10 spots a year to fill. They were 100% filled with NO scramble. The FMG's are good candidates. The goal is to acheive a diverse class and I beleive the quality of the FMGs to be good and not to be looked down as a negative. Recently a new intern has been added a DO from TCOM secondary to an intern who is moving to ER but finishing his intern year.

I feel this is a great residency for a number of reasons there is a night float in place, calls 3x a month at maximum (only on weekends), a team approach meaning you do GYN, L&D and clinic on alternative days, autonomy at their clinic hospital, very laid back and approachable staff, residents who have matched in subspecialties recent match in MFM (maternal fetal medicine) to Duke, and great surgery experience with well over 80% national #'s in GYN and OB.

Please feel free to email comments to [email protected]
:) Diane

thanks for all the input so far....

anybody mind posting their own stats (step scores, research, quality of lors, amg vs fmg), if you aren't getting a great feel for what the others have?

thanks again!