Non-derm letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tungsten5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a sterling, 'best medical student I've seen' letter from a non-derm attending I did a core rotation in. Think neuro/gyn/psych. For whatever reason, we clicked really well and he loved me.

I've heard of people including IM letters, but has anyone used one from a very unrelated specialty? I do have 3 derm letters that aren't bad, but I hate to let this one go to waste or only use for TY/prelim.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a great letter from a neurogynopsychiatrist, I'd put that front and center in your app.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a sterling, 'best medical student I've seen' letter from a non-derm attending I did a core rotation in. Think neuro/gyn/psych. For whatever reason, we clicked really well and he loved me.

I've heard of people including IM letters, but has anyone used one from a very unrelated specialty? I do have 3 derm letters that aren't bad, but I hate to let this one go to waste or only use for TY/prelim.

Thanks!

You'll get mixed replies.

Some out there will report that their non-derm letter even got a mention during the interview because it's so different from what interviewers usually see when perusing an application file.

For the most part, you'll find it doesn't make a difference. Dermatologists generally are only interested in letters from other dermatologists.