Non-designated Preliminary and Surgery

Started by chemamr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemamr

PGY2
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I´m interested in general surgery residency. But I have some doubts about it. I´d like to study plastic surgery, in the independent program (3+3years). In this case, what should I choose?

-Categorical
-Designated Preliminary
-Non-designated Preliminary
????

I´m really confused about it. I have the idea that categoric is only for the whole 5 years in Gral Surgery but I´m not sure and have no idea of the real difference between a designated and a non-design.

Thank you in advance to clarify this.
 
Several points:

1) The INDEPENDENT route is typically 5 + 2-3 years.

2) The INTEGRATED (or the bastardized COMBINED) route is 3 + 2-3 years.

If you want to pursue the INDEPENDENT route, apply to CATEGORICAL GENERAL SURGERY positions.

If you want to do a 3 + 3 type of program, apply to INTEGRATED and COMBINED programs. These are the programs that you can access on ERAS.

If you have further questions about the difference between the INDEPENDENT/TRADITIONAL route, the COMBINED route (which is really just the INDEPENDENT route), and the INTEGRATED route, do a search on SDN over the past couple of years and you'll find more than enough information to answer the majority of your questions.