Non-designated Preliminary and Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemamr

PGY2
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I´m interested in general surgery residency. But I have some doubts about it. I´d like to study plastic surgery, in the independent program (3+3years). In this case, what should I choose?

-Categorical
-Designated Preliminary
-Non-designated Preliminary
????

I´m really confused about it. I have the idea that categoric is only for the whole 5 years in Gral Surgery but I´m not sure and have no idea of the real difference between a designated and a non-design.

Thank you in advance to clarify this.

Members don't see this ad.

Several points:

1) The INDEPENDENT route is typically 5 + 2-3 years.

2) The INTEGRATED (or the bastardized COMBINED) route is 3 + 2-3 years.

If you want to pursue the INDEPENDENT route, apply to CATEGORICAL GENERAL SURGERY positions.

If you want to do a 3 + 3 type of program, apply to INTEGRATED and COMBINED programs. These are the programs that you can access on ERAS.

If you have further questions about the difference between the INDEPENDENT/TRADITIONAL route, the COMBINED route (which is really just the INDEPENDENT route), and the INTEGRATED route, do a search on SDN over the past couple of years and you'll find more than enough information to answer the majority of your questions.