non-major electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jaimelepingouin

First-year AuD
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

As an incoming first-year AuD with a related undergrad major, I have always found difficulty sorting out the right electives to supplement my studies. With as many as 7 elective course slots in my curriculum, I fear my advisor may see the choices I make and not take me seriously.

I go to a gigantic state school with a ton of health/medical profession specialties, as well as engineering and business courses on the other campus. So I can easily avoid taking strictly speech-language or psych/counseling electives if I don't want to.

So what's the trick to finding the right related courses? And how do you get the elective's department to allow you in, if the seats are usually reserved for majors? (My school is a little bit too big to just "email the professor.")

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Getting the electives department to allow you in is probably something you'll have to talk to your advisor about, as the process will vary from school to school. Finding the right related courses just involves sifting through the course guide! It's probably posted on your school's website.
 
If you are interested in private practice, some business courses could definitely be of benefit.
 
I'd recommend taking business courses and also some Psychology or if your school offers it, some masters level counseling courses. You might also see if you can take some healthcare administration courses if you are interested in working in a hospital. Many of us get put in leadership positions in hospitals and have little business or healthcare experience in our backgrounds.