Non-native speaker becoming a psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swedish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am taking up med school in Sweden and maybe it's ridiculous but I think I'm pretty sure I already know I want to work as a psychiatrist. It seems relatively stress-free (emotional stress is okay, but people dying in front of my eyes is not my cup of tea...). Work seems VERY meaningful as a psych, aswell. But it'd be very nice to work in the US. :)

But have you ever heard of people from abroad landing jobs as psychiatrists without absolutely perfect grasp of the language? I mean, I think I am decent at English but of course there are just SOOOO many expressions I've never heard of and nuances I can't distinguish btw. I have 6 years left in my home country before graduation so I have some time to plug som language leaks hehe ;) but o/c I will never ever be able to speak like a native.

So hmm... basically. Is it a fantasy 'pipedream' to be thinking of working as a psych. without being a native speaker of the language?

And nr 2, how are working hours for psychs during residency and thereafter. How many hours per week is 'normal'?

And nr 3, if it is an achievable dream, what are the best steps to be taken to prepare during my time in med school? Perfecting language, USMLE and doing some simpler research?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen that in general, most accents are frowned upon. There are some exceptions but they are exceptions where English is still the first language. E.g. an Australian or English accent.

Not that a program will upfront tell you they don't like non-English speakers because this could be interpreted as a form of discrimination.

If you are trying to show that your accent or not being an native speaker is not a problem, and it isn't a problem, try to have someone mention that in one of your letters of recommendation. IF you do not speak English well, then I would hold that against a candidate because that is a very important skill in this field. Only advice I can give you is to practice it.

Last edited:
I've always found it kind of ironic that so many psych residents are FMG, particularly foreign born FMGs. The medical speciality where verbal doctor/patient interaction is probably the most important, draws some of the most FMGs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OP should be fine if he speaks English like your average college-educated Swede. Amercians would probably have a tougher time with a true Australian accent than a Swedish one speaking English. You could also probably make a decent case that patients would have as tough a time with Australian slang as the OP will have with American.

And at the end of the day, with 40% of psych resident slots still going to IMGs and FMGs, is there really going to be that much prejudice against a foreign born psychiatrist for your average psych job?

I think the OP should be fine if he speaks English like your average college-educated Swede. Amercians would probably have a tougher time with a true Australian accent than a Swedish one speaking English. You could also probably make a decent case that patients would have as tough a time with Australian slang as the OP will have with American.

And at the end of the day, with 40% of psych resident slots still going to IMGs and FMGs, is there really going to be that much prejudice against a foreign born psychiatrist for your average psych job?

Agreed--they'll probably just think you're from Minnesota.

As to what to do in the next 6 years--come stateside for a couple of visits, watch some American television (but not too much--wouldn't want you to kill off your frontal lobes), make some Facebook friends.... You'll be one of us in no time!

As to what to do in the next 6 years--come stateside for a couple of visits, watch some American television (but not too much--wouldn't want you to kill off your frontal lobes), make some Facebook friends.... You'll be one of us in no time!

:laugh:

My experience is that folks from Sweden do very well with English. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It should go without saying, but there are many excellent psychiatrists with accents and it typically isn't a problem.

tumblr_l1ezzrOAn41qzyyco

:laugh:

/you may not learn english, but you'll learn quite a bit about C&A. :smuggrin: