non neuro research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

1) i was wondering how much does having no research in a neuro field hurt you (ie phd but only have colorectal cancer research). How much does it hurt my chances?
2) stats are that i have a phd (basic sciences, ~7 pubs a couple of which are first authored), ~240 step 1, but did NOT honor in the surgery rotation. How much does the surgery grade hurt my chances? I'm also somewhat concerned about my step 1.

I particularly would like to hear from those who are residents or who have been on the interview trail.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,

1) i was wondering how much does having no research in a neuro field hurt you (ie phd but only have colorectal cancer research). How much does it hurt my chances?
2) stats are that i have a phd (basic sciences, ~7 pubs a couple of which are first authored), ~240 step 1, but did NOT honor in the surgery rotation. How much does the surgery grade hurt my chances? I'm also somewhat concerned about my step 1.

I particularly would like to hear from those who are residents or who have been on the interview trail.

Surgery grade isn't very important. Research is better if neuro, but as a PhD you should be fine. 240 is a fine score.

I'll have to 2nd mmmcdowe and say that you should be ok. No one cares about surgery, if you honor great, if you don't who cares. Pubs are pubs, have some. NSGY is better than anything else. You, having 7, shows you know how to go through the meat grinder. Are you 1st author on at least >2? 240 is average, you'll likely match unless you have an interpersonal issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Your step 1 score is fine
2) Your surgery grade is a non issue for several reasons... First it is surgery (not neurosurgery). Second, neurosurgery attendings dont have time to go through every detail of your application. Figure that each application turns out to be about 30 pages and the average program interviews 15 people each interview day. There isn't enough time to go though every grade for every clerkship for each of the applicants.
3) You will get bonus points for the PhD but the real question is why no neurosurgery research? Is it because you were a late comer and decided you wanted to do neurosurgery late in your career (thats understandable and ok). But if you have always been interested in neurosurgery it may take more explaining.