Non-pharmacy classes while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parabolic

One of many
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, is it 'normal' to take a class or two outside of the pharmacy core and elective courses while pursuing your professional degree? For example, an art or history class-- completely unrelated to the degree, and only for your own benefit.

If not, it is because taking on additional coursework is frowned upon by your program? Or because the workload is such that the thought of adding another class for 'fun' is nauseating? Or some other reason?

(I'm curious because I'd like to keep up with my foreign language classes when/if I get accepted, and wanted to know how likely that would be to happen.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there would be any prohibition on taking outside classes, but I can't imagine doing it. I can't even find time to read a novel, let alone take a class in addition to the pharmacy curriculum.

I do have a classmate who's thinking about summer classes to finish off her chemistry degree. It remains to be seen if she actually does it.

I was just wondering, is it 'normal' to take a class or two outside of the pharmacy core and elective courses while pursuing your professional degree? For example, an art or history class-- completely unrelated to the degree, and only for your own benefit.

If not, it is because taking on additional coursework is frowned upon by your program? Or because the workload is such that the thought of adding another class for 'fun' is nauseating? Or some other reason?

(I'm curious because I'd like to keep up with my foreign language classes when/if I get accepted, and wanted to know how likely that would be to happen.)

Thanks!

At my school, you have to have permission from the dean of students to take overload classes, which is defined as anything about your required classes (17-18 hours in my program, depending on semester). Personally, I can't imagine having time to do anything else. There are people who overload (primarily folks in the joint MBA program), but I haven't really heard of anybody doing something totally unrelated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've played violin for 10 years and can't imagine giving it up to go to pharmacy school. Do you think I'd have time to be in the school's orchestra while being a professional pharmacy student? Most orchestra's only meet once or twice a week for an hour or two.

I've played violin for 10 years and can't imagine giving it up to go to pharmacy school. Do you think I'd have time to be in the school's orchestra while being a professional pharmacy student? Most orchestra's only meet once or twice a week for an hour or two.

Try playing in a community orchestra or just get together for fun with other musical kids in your class. I wouldn't try and actually take it as a class though.

Yeah but i'm sure you'd have to throw some practice in there as well.

But I've never heard of a person taking extra courses- it'd actually be near impossible here as we're already over the "maximum credit hours" of 5 courses/semester; so you'd need special promission.

As long as you are able to keep up with your core pharmacy courses I wouldn't expect a pharmacy program to discourage you from taking courses outside of the pharmacy program.

UCDHSC has a student orchestra. I've never heard them perform, but I get regular emails inviting me to audition. Think they have a kazoo section? :)

I want to take Japanese during pharmacy school :D
Not for fun, but because I've been trying to learn it on my own and I need help! I think any class that you take outside of pharmacy-related classes will only add to you becoming a more well-rounded pharmacist so go for it!

i finished studying spanish early in high school but didn't think of taking another language course. i really regret that now. perhaps in the first 3 years of a 6-yr program you might find the time. but if you're heading into your professional years, forget about it. hahah.

as for being in the school's orchestra.. i know some people who are able to be in the school's chorus. they dorm, so that's quite an advantage. also, our chorus group don't travel so much.

In theory you can take non-pharmacy classes. In practice, it is very hard because the prime time of their scheduling is the same time we are in class.
For us, at UIC, the time scheduling is a little different for most other colleges. So, there is a lot of interaction.