Non Psych Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My major was a mix of psychology and neuroscience (called the biological basis of behavior). I don't want to go into neuropsych, I am interested in health psychology (preferably medication adherence) and I am finding that a lot of programs either require a psych major or have 18 hours of psych classes required. Basically, I'm wondering if there any non-psych majors out there who applied to clinical phd programs. How did you do it? Where did you apply? Did you find it difficult?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're really finding that most programs require a psych major? That surprises me. I was not a psychology major in undergrad and, unlike your major, mine had pretty much nothing to do with psychology. Granted, I didn't apply to clinical programs right out of undergrad and instead entered a Masters program, but when I did finally apply for Ph.D programs, I didn't have anyone frown at me for not having been a psychology major. If anything, I think professors found it a little refreshing. I honestly don't think you will have a problem applying with your background. Check the course requirements for your programs of interest and if you have any doubts you can email your POI or the department secretary to ask if your application would be considered.

I was a double major, and the variety really helped me (as did my non-traditional status), though they still want you to have a good basis. Some schools may waive the credit requirement if you score really high on the Psych GRE's, but that'd depend on the university.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few (if any) programs actually require that you have a psych major - many want you to have the equivalent coursework, but you don't need to have a declared psych major to do that. However, I think that most programs perfer that you have at least the basics covered - intro, research methods, stats, abnormal, etc. - even if they don't explicitly state that.

I wasn't a psych major, so I did have to take additional classes after college. Taking classes while working full time wasn't fun, but everyone told me that I wouldn't stand a chance at getting in if I didn't do it. On the plus side, I did boost my GPA a bit! I got into a bunch of clinical phd programs, so it can definitely be done. 18 hours isn't that bad, really.

To put it in a bit of perspective.....you will be competing against people who have taken a plethora of psych classes. I believe in receiving a diverse education, but with the understanding if you are going to go into a specific field, you need to take at least certain basic courses. The 18 credit requirement is meant to cover 'the basics'.

-t