1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

non-required labs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dlouis, Dec 2, 2008.

1. dlouis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all,

I am in a research program at my school that requires me to take Molecular Techniques, a 2 day a week lab (3 credits) and it just completely ruining my schedule for next semester. I have to push back my ochem lab till next fall (when i apply to med school) and I can't take the human physio lab i really want to take.

Now I know ochem lab is required so I'm 100% taking that next fall so my application will show I am in the lab. Now I know that human physio is not mandatory to get into med school. Do you think me taking the lab would be a plus or is it not important (for getting into med school). I would love to take it but in case there is another scheduling problem next fall I don't want to worry that med schools will look down on me because i didn't take the physio lab.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Docere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think med schools would look down on you for not taking the corresponding labs. You should take the labs because it would help you better understand the material (thus getting a better grade) and/or because you enjoy it.

4. dlouis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok that helps. Yeah don't get me wrong, I would love to take the lab. I've heard amazing things about it but unfortunately there are only 2 labs sections offered at my school. Oh well. Thanks!

5. aebvd97

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Taking the lab can certainly help you if you do well in the class. That being said, given that it is not a require course, it is not going to hurt you if you don't take it. I agree with docere in that you should only take it if it's something that you are genuinely interested in given that it is a non-requirement.