Non-science LOR and physician LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lychee3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sort of in a bind right now, since I cannot decide whom to ask for a non-science LOR. I took humanities classes during my first and second years, but did not get to know the professors well enough for them to write me a letter.

With that said, should I ask one of these professors anyway (even if it means mediocre quality)? If I have great letters from my previous research PIs but no non-science letter, will that hurt my chances of getting into MSTP?

Also, is a letter from a physician recommended for MSTP?

Members don't see this ad.

Some MD programs might not be happy if you only have science LORs. Find one, and be creative with who you ask: do you have a volunteer coordinator, a clergy person, a coach, anything? You just need someone who can talk about how wonderful you are, and what a great doctor and researcher you'll be, they don't have to be a professor. In fact, I got a lot of positive response from interviewers to the LOR I got from my debate coach talking about how I never quit, I'm good with people, and I am the sort of person you want to have around in a bind.

Only get a letter from a physician if they can give you a good letter that talks about you, not just "i removed their mole and while I was working they asked me some questions about being a doctor. They had a nice haircut and took the pain of mole removal well." or something stupid like that. The only physician who wrote me a LOR was my PI of 1.75 years and counting, and I've never shadowed him or anything.

1. find a humanities class
2. go to office hours and pretend like you have questions/care
3. get recc at the end