Non-science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samuel3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a non-science prof who know me well enough to write a letter. I'm a science major and I only kept in good touch with science profs :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem last year. Contact any non-science professors and explain the situation to them. Quite a few of them are understanding.

It REALLY helps if you got an A in their course.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be difficult to get a strong and meaningful letter from a non-science professor, but from my experience every professor I've asked for letters (Whether they were for medical school, volunteer opportunities, etc.) they've been fairly receptive. Even if you didn't build a relationship with them. If you got an A in their course and at least participated a little in class, they may still recognize you. That will suffice.

What about an A- for a fairly difficult course?

I had the same problem last year. Contact any non-science professors and explain the situation to them. Quite a few of them are understanding.

It REALLY helps if you got an A in their course.

How did you go about asking them?

It may be difficult to get a strong and meaningful letter from a non-science professor, but from my experience every professor I've asked for letters (Whether they were for medical school, volunteer opportunities, etc.) they've been fairly receptive. Even if you didn't build a relationship with them. If you got an A in their course and at least participated a little in class, they may still recognize you. That will suffice.

They may ask anyway, but offer to send your health professions resume (which was essentially an unofficial version of my application) or to sit down with them to discuss it. That way they can write something meaningful.

What about an A- for a fairly difficult course?

A anything.

How did you go about asking them?

I e-mailed to ask, and offered to do both of the things mentioned above. Had that not gotten a response, I would've moved to a phone call to their office.

An A is an A. Just be honest with them and if they have time they will write you one. I had a friend send out a cookie cutter email to all his professors and none of them replied.

I don't live near campus anymore so I just emailed 2 professors specifically. I picked these 2 because one of them had a teaching method I really liked and the other one taught material I still use in my life. I explained the situation honestly to them and mentioned how their course impacted my education. I included my information so they could confirm I got an A in their course. I'm pretty sure I aced all their exams.

They both replied within a week and were happy to write one.

I'm having trouble finding a non-science prof who know me well enough to write a letter. I'm a science major and I only kept in good touch with science profs :scared:

Contact the school. I applied to one school who required a non science letter and I got a letter from my manager at work and they accepted that as my non science letter.

I told schools that I'm out of school, and out of state from the school I graduated from. Several of them accepted a letter from my boss (which was also my DO letter). Other schools wouldn't budge. Lucky my favorite prof taught me in a science and (technically) non-science course. So I got a letter from him.