non science LORs?

Started by Caribou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caribou

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How important do you think it is to have an LOR from a non science professor?

thanks
 
Caribou said:
How important do you think it is to have an LOR from a non science professor?

thanks

Depends on the school, but for the most part it's not important.
 
I feel it could be more helpful from the Medschool side of things. I had a few non-science people vouch for me since I think could demonstrate a different side of my character. So an adcom could say that I'm not only great a scientist, but also that I am also very well rounded and insightful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i've been wondering about this myself...i've been out of school for a few years, and imagine that any letter i could get from a humanities prof, at this point, would be of the "well, i gave her an A on her paper and she seems great but i barely remember her" variety. is it better to have a positive but fairly generic letter from a non-science prof, or none at all? (i have 2 very strong letters from volunteer & non-lab work supervisors.)
 
haricot said:
i've been wondering about this myself...i've been out of school for a few years, and imagine that any letter i could get from a humanities prof, at this point, would be of the "well, i gave her an A on her paper and she seems great but i barely remember her" variety. is it better to have a positive but fairly generic letter from a non-science prof, or none at all? (i have 2 very strong letters from volunteer & non-lab work supervisors.)

Your probably fine with none at all unless they are required, which is true of some schools. I didn't realize this until well after I had taken most of my non science classes. I lucked out in going to an old econ professor who didn't mind interviewing me to have more background for the letter.