non-science major looking for advice on science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all, as the title says, i'm not a science major. at the end of this school year, i will have bio I and II + lab, physics I and II + lab, chem I and II + lab, calculus I and II, and 2 writing classes finished. i have 3 neuroscience classes as well and one nutrition class. this summer, i plan on taking genetics and either microbiology or cell biology. next year, i'm taking orgo I and II + lab and probably anatomy and physiology and maybe another upper-level bio or some more neuroscience classes. the summer after next year (summer 2012), i plan on taking biochemistry. it's possible that i can take a mini-biochem class (2 credits) with orgo II depending on my success with orgo I.

my pre-health advisor said that even if i take just genetics over the summer, i will likely have enough upper-level sciences to be fine for applications. i wanted some advice on this and had a few questions.

questions:
1) one of my intro biology classes is "cellular and developmental biology" so should i skip out on the higher-level cell bio and just take microbio?
2) can i have any of my neuroscience classes or my nutrition class count in my bcpm? some are cross-listed with biology or chem but to get credit for my major, i had to take it for credit within my department.
3) do the neuroscience classes count as upper-level bios?
4) what other classes would you recommend?
5) should i take the lab with anatomy and physiology? it's going to be my second semester senior year (it's only offered in spring), so orgo II, a&p, and a&p lab is going to be 10-12 credits of pure sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is dont hold up your application for taking extra upperdivisions. Finsih the prereqs strong, and apply. I think the upper division science courses are REALLY overstated on this site. If it was that important they would prob require it. Just saying they would prob take a higher gpa / dat than somone with lower # and more upper divisions.

other than regular pre req. most schools have these pre req's : Micro, Bio chem, anat & physiology, genetics, and some want extra 6 more credits of upper div. science classes.

So do some research into the schools that you will be applying and then design your plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, as a non-science major you sure have taken quite a few science classes! Do you like it/them?

Now for your questions:

1.) I think that it would be safe to take Micro because I not only thought it was very interesting but it incorporates basic molecular biology principles in it too. I took both at my school and this is just what I would do

2 & 3.) Not sure about nutrition (doubting it) but I think at least some of the neuroscience will count towards bcpm, including upp-division. AADSAS will be able to fully answer that if you just call them

4.) It's very hard to say what to recommend as it is only you who can really tell what you are interested in. I did not like taking classes beyond pre-reqs that I was not genuinely interested in and to be honest I think that you should take whatever you feel you want to take at this point. It is your education and you have one unique chance at taking some cool and interesting classes, wherever you are! I loved biology, so I took a bunch of upper-division biology classes like genetics, pathobiology, A &P, Organismal Bio, Cell Bio, Immunology, Micro, and Biochem (actually labeled as chem though...). I have no regrets and my decision to take these were based off pure intellectual and personal interests.

5.) It seems that beyond the general pre-reqs some schools require calculus (which you already have), anatomy and physiology (must be with lab; only a few schools with this req), biochem (at least 3 credits), and most require 2 semesters of O Chem. As for being worried about taking 10-12 science credits in one term, you are only getting a dose of what dental school will be like in your potential future.....It may seem like a lot but it will be a good primer before starting school!!!;)

Hope this answers some of your questions!

other than regular pre req. most schools have these pre req's : Micro, Bio chem, anat & physiology, genetics, and some want extra 6 more credits of upper div. science classes.

So do some research into the schools that you will be applying and then design your plan.

From the research I've done, most schools seem to only have biochem as an upper division prereq. I might be looking in the wrong places (or different schools)....

Would you mind posting your source?

the ADEA official guide to dental schools (book) lists all the prereq for each schools. They usually require more than just biochem... so check it out

From the research I've done, most schools seem to only have biochem as an upper division prereq. I might be looking in the wrong places (or different schools)....

Would you mind posting your source?

Check out every single schools website you are going to apply to.

ADEA has all the schools pre req's listed but i have found some mistakes.... So double check w/ the schools website.

thanks everyone!! i think i will definitely take microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and anatomy and physiology based on your suggestions and my research. my only issue now is this: some schools require one year of anatomy and physiology, but my school only offers one semester of it. will this be a huge problem?

Most schools don't require calculus, do they?

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement from all those that posted. I am going to keep looking over the sticky threads in the forum to continue developing my strategy. Good luck to all those currently waiting to hear back from the schools you applied to!

thanks everyone!! i think i will definitely take microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and anatomy and physiology based on your suggestions and my research. my only issue now is this: some schools require one year of anatomy and physiology, but my school only offers one semester of it. will this be a huge problem?

Call schools, yes it will be a problem. If they were not prereqs they would not be listed there right. But the good thing is anatomy and physiology will be offered in community college throughout the year. b/c many students are interested in becoming nurses, so its like there introduction before they enter nursing program.

Most schools don't require calculus, do they?
Your Ans:
Check out every single schools website you are going to apply to.

ADEA has all the schools pre req's listed but i have found some mistakes.... So double check w/ the schools website.

I never saw you state what year you were applying? And don't forget the DAT exam. You need to take that by June/July the year you apply, unless you want to apply late (bad idea). And I would suggest taking O chem before the exam. Biochem, micro, anat & phys also help before the DAT as well, but not a requirement.

^ i'm not sure when i'm applying yet. i always planned on taking time off between undergrad and dental school to travel and stuff.. so maybe a year or 2 later than normal.