Non-Science major taking science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashRag33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if UC like UCI gives priority to student who is science major to take their science classes especially upper-division ones over non-science major.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if UC like UCI gives priority to student who is science major to take their science classes especially upper-division ones over non-science major.
Might want to stick to the english courses for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I want to major in psychology, going to be a sophomore next year and planning to transfer to UCI. When I am doing my last two years at the university, can I take upper-division classes in biology or would the school only those classes to be taken by students who majored in biology? I was informed by one dude who majored in biology at UCI that the school only allow science major to take upper-division classes?

i'd ask an academic advisor at UCI instead of SDN...

for what it's worth, my school generally let me take any upper division course in any area as long as I'd taken the intro course already

So I want to major in psychology, going to be a sophomore next year and planning to transfer to UCI. When I am doing my last two years at the university, can I take upper-division classes in biology or would the school only those classes to be taken by students who majored in biology? I was informed by one dude who majored in biology at UCI that the school only allow science major to take upper-division classes?

i'd ask an academic advisor at UCI instead of SDN...

for what it's worth, my school generally let me take any upper division course in any area as long as I'd taken the intro course already

Oh wait with that said, what about the intro courses too. Does university work like junior college, where you can choose any class you want to take regardless of what your major is?

Oh wait with that said, what about the intro courses too. Does university work like junior college, where you can choose any class you want to take regardless of what your major is?

Depends on the school, I would think you get pretty free reign of classes at UCI seeing that it's college and not high school. Some classes may require you to be a major or give priority spots to majors.

There is no reason to post the same thread multiple times. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Depends on the school, I would think you get pretty free reign of classes at UCI seeing that it's college and not high school. Some classes may require you to be a major or give priority spots to majors.

Yeah that is the thing I was worried about being a non science major, cause I do want to take a few upper-division classes to give me some science background, what if i minor in biology, then can I take classes in the bio department ?

Hi...UCI *just graduated* senior here

UCI gives priority to people who are in that major so you may have difficulty getting the required classes in. The only time I came across non-bio majors in my classes is in the larger "specialized" upper division classes like Human genetics and even then they were two public health majors. If you are planning on using the upper div classes to fulfill your pre-reqs, I'd think twice about it. Its definitely possible but these classes are all on a curve and all the people that are in them are those that have survived the weeding out from the lower divs. Therefore, its harder to get good grades. Upper div bio also includes the labs (which are taken as 4 unit courses) separately from the class they're related to. These labs have a prereq called Bio100LW. Since ALL bio majors take this lab-class hybrid, it is nearly impossible to get into it (and thus you wouldn't be able to take this class).

What you can do is come in, finish a psychology degree, graduate and then take the pre-reqs in a post bac year. If you have yet to apply, I'd consider applying for the public health major. Public health has two tracks: policy and science. I believe either one will make it easier for you to take bio classes since they are required under this major. It is very difficult to transfer into the bio major since there are so many of us already. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

point of all this, as a psychology major it will be difficult for you to get into the upper division science courses.