doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
How does non science grad classes factor into my GPA when I apply to med school. I know that they will compute the science post-bacc science classes, but does anyone know how all this works?

How does post-bacc factor into my undergard GPA, I am a 1999 BA grad?

How does Post-bacc and my current GPA figure?


I heard the they only facctor your post-bacc work, and other non science does not get even computed.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
MDF
 

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,923
1
MA
Status
Medical Student
doc4u said:
How does non science grad classes factor into my GPA when I apply to med school. I know that they will compute the science post-bacc science classes, but does anyone know how all this works?

How does post-bacc factor into my undergard GPA, I am a 1999 BA grad?

How does Post-bacc and my current GPA figure?


I heard the they only facctor your post-bacc work, and other non science does not get even computed.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
MDF
If you apply to allopathic schools your masters GPA will not factor into your UG GPA, only your post bacc grades will. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, they will be averaged.

If you apply to osteopathic schools, your masters GPA WILL be factored into your UG GPA, along with your post bacc courses. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, the class grades are NOT averaged as they are with applying to allopathic schools. Insted the most recent grade replaces the old grade.
 

doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
Sundarban1 said:
If you apply to allopathic schools your masters GPA will not factor into your UG GPA, only your post bacc grades will. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, they will be averaged.

If you apply to osteopathic schools, your masters GPA WILL be factored into your UG GPA, along with your post bacc courses. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, the class grades are NOT averaged as they are with applying to allopathic schools. Insted the most recent grade replaces the old grade.
I will use me as an example, no use hidding fact. my under grad grades were not to hot. I had approx 2.5 gpa in Political Science, one of those things I didnt want to be in college. I took only the basic science that were req. to grad, so no labs (science non majors). How will the 6 post-back class work into that? Its been asked before, "how did I get into harvard?" Well I did a lot in the biz and computer world that helped me get in. Once I was in I proved I can do the work and have done well. As I stated prior, I hate it now and cannot even look at a book. I only read my wifes medical books.. scary.


I am really thinking about pulling out of my grad program after this semester, to focus on post work starting in summer, taken Chem 1 and Lab.
After this semester, I will have 7 more to go, and it seems like a lot to handle and do well with both. If I pulled, I would do chem and lab summer, and 3+labs in fall and spring, which will leave me glide year for MCAT and Prep.

If my grades do not matter then why waste the time and money. Having my family as all docs who practice and teach in medical schools, does help so no hiding that point. Phone calles do help, as much as some may think they do not.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for the great advice, thus far.
 
About the Ads

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,923
1
MA
Status
Medical Student
doc4u said:
I will use me as an example, no use hidding fact. my under grad grades were not to hot. I had approx 2.5 gpa in Political Science, one of those things I didnt want to be in college. I took only the basic science that were req. to grad, so no labs (science non majors). How will the 6 post-back class work into that? Its been asked before, "how did I get into harvard?" Well I did a lot in the biz and computer world that helped me get in. Once I was in I proved I can do the work and have done well. As I stated prior, I hate it now and cannot even look at a book. I only read my wifes medical books.. scary.


I am really thinking about pulling out of my grad program after this semester, to focus on post work starting in summer, taken Chem 1 and Lab.
After this semester, I will have 7 more to go, and it seems like a lot to handle and do well with both. If I pulled, I would do chem and lab summer, and 3+labs in fall and spring, which will leave me glide year for MCAT and Prep.

If my grades do not matter then why waste the time and money. Having my family as all docs who practice and teach in medical schools, does help so no hiding that point. Phone calles do help, as much as some may think they do not.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for the great advice, thus far.
Well I'm not sure what the question is in your post, but I would consider getting advice from others around you before you pull out of the program. I was told that it would be a big red flag to a lot of people looking at your application come time to apply to medical school.

The good thing is that you can potentially bring up the science GPA with a good showing in the post bacc. You keep referring to 6-7 classes and I'm slightly confused. You only technically need 4 to take the MCAT, phys chem bio and ochem. If you go the post bacc route you will want to take additional courses to raise your GPA and there are several other classes that you can take like genetics, etc. that are really great classes.

What I will say is that if you apply to Harvard's post bacc you will fall into the category of those who have not taken any science classes (bio chem orgo phys) if you took them as a non science major and the classes had no labs. Therefore, even though you have technically taken science classes, because they were for non-science majors with no labs, you can still qualify for the diploma program.
 

doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
Sundarban1 said:
Well I'm not sure what the question is in your post, but I would consider getting advice from others around you before you pull out of the program. I was told that it would be a big red flag to a lot of people looking at your application come time to apply to medical school.

The good thing is that you can potentially bring up the science GPA with a good showing in the post bacc. You keep referring to 6-7 classes and I'm slightly confused. You only technically need 4 to take the MCAT, phys chem bio and ochem. If you go the post bacc route you will want to take additional courses to raise your GPA and there are several other classes that you can take like genetics, etc. that are really great classes.

What I will say is that if you apply to Harvard's post bacc you will fall into the category of those who have not taken any science classes (bio chem orgo phys) if you took them as a non science major and the classes had no labs. Therefore, even though you have technically taken science classes, because they were for non-science majors with no labs, you can still qualify for the diploma program.
I thought this was typical of a post-bacc:

Summer Session 1: Gen Chem 1 with lab
Summer Session 2: Gen Chem 2 with lab

Fall semester:
Biology 1 with lab
Physics 1 with lab
O-Chem 1 with lab

Spring semester
Biology 2 with lab
Physics 2 with lab
O-chem 2 with lab
 

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,138
84
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
You are right about typical schedule.


I thought you had been advised to finish your masters?
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,911
Status
Attending Physician
doc4u said:
I thought this was typical of a post-bacc:

Summer Session 1: Gen Chem 1 with lab
Summer Session 2: Gen Chem 2 with lab

Fall semester:
Biology 1 with lab
Physics 1 with lab
O-Chem 1 with lab

Spring semester
Biology 2 with lab
Physics 2 with lab
O-chem 2 with lab
Lots of people do it as you outlined. However I would caution that if you are not a strong science student or find that you need a lot of time with a subject to ace it, you may want to take a longer postbac. Lots of people take either bio or physics over that second summer after your spring semester (so that they can take two science courses over the academic year, rather than three, and then take the August MCAT). Still more spread the whole process out over an extra year and not take the summer at all. You are better off taking more time and doing well, than to rush through with mediocre grades. Also bear in mind that the summer courses tend to cram a year's worth of material into 8 weeks, with limited elimination of content, which is a rough pace for some (although perhaps the closest thing to approximating the pace in med school :rolleyes: ). Good luck.
 

doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
mshheaddoc said:
You are right about typical schedule.


I thought you had been advised to finish your masters?

I have heard both sides of finishing masters. some say finish, others say, it makes no difference because people change thier track in life all the time. It will be hard to do, but I think I could do both. Doing 3 grad classes in the spring would leave 4 more to complete prior to entering medical school. So it is possible. To afford both is tough. I do not mean money wise, I mean family. Having wife (resident) 2 year old and a new born due jan2nd is the major issue. Can only spread myself so thin, and then I have to weight the options. The program director at my wifes med center said it makes no difference if I finish my masters, and a friend of ours at a medical school said that it may help if I didn't have other offerings or connections. Although my advisor at Harvard says I should complete. Even though it is a high level university, they still like to keep those spots filled w/ no people jumping ship. So it is to their advantage to tell me to stay.

Money is also another issue. Paying for both post-bacc and grad school does tend to be a lot of money. So i need to make sure that it is really worth it to stick it out. If my grad degree get me to the interview pile then yes its worth it. You can never count on connections, although I have been told that I should go to different pile just because of family connection.

It's a catch 22, so it's a lot of sole searching. I dont have to make a decision now, but timer is on.
 

doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
Law2Doc said:
Lots of people do it as you outlined. However I would caution that if you are not a strong science student or find that you need a lot of time with a subject to ace it, you may want to take a longer postbac. Lots of people take either bio or physics over that second summer after your spring semester (so that they can take two science courses over the academic year, rather than three, and then take the August MCAT). Still more spread the whole process out over an extra year and not take the summer at all. You are better off taking more time and doing well, than to rush through with mediocre grades. Also bear in mind that the summer courses tend to cram a year's worth of material into 8 weeks, with limited elimination of content, which is a rough pace for some (although perhaps the closest thing to approximating the pace in med school :rolleyes: ). Good luck.
Depending on what i do regarding grad school, I may spread it out longer as you state. If I am only in school, and set up child care, I will be full on post-bacc, give or take a class or two.
 

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,923
1
MA
Status
Medical Student
doc4u said:
Depending on what i do regarding grad school, I may spread it out longer as you state. If I am only in school, and set up child care, I will be full on post-bacc, give or take a class or two.
So if you want to do the post bacc over one year and a summer then I would not do it here at HES. It's a very risky schedule for someone looking to boost their GPA, even if you are not working. I would do the 2 year route.
 

doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
Can someone please tell me how my grad GPA effects my GPA from undergrad when applying to medical school???


Thanks,
MDF
 

microgin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2004
159
2
Status
Medical Student
doc4u said:
Can someone please tell me how my grad GPA effects my GPA from undergrad when applying to medical school???


Thanks,
MDF
Your question was already asked and answered.

Sundarban1 said:
If you apply to allopathic schools your masters GPA will not factor into your UG GPA, only your post bacc grades will. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, they will be averaged.

If you apply to osteopathic schools, your masters GPA WILL be factored into your UG GPA, along with your post bacc courses. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, the class grades are NOT averaged as they are with applying to allopathic schools. Insted the most recent grade replaces the old grade.
 

doc4u

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
30
0
Status
microgin said:
Your question was already asked and answered.

Sorry all, I must of missed it. So I still cannot figure why it is so good that i finish my grad school. Seems like a waste of time and money if I will not use it, and not figured into my gpa.
 

microgin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2004
159
2
Status
Medical Student
doc4u said:
Sorry all, I must of missed it. So I still cannot figure why it is so good that i finish my grad school. Seems like a waste of time and money if I will not use it, and not figured into my gpa.

I think what everyone here is assuming the medical school adcoms are thinking is along the old axiom, "Quitters never win, and winners never quit."

If you signed up to do your master's program, and then almost near the end of it have decided that it's no longer of interest to you, then what's to say that once you're in your rough 3rd year of medical school that you won't get discouraged in your general surgery clerkship, and say "I don't want to be a doctor anymore" and leave medical school? The point is to set a presedent for your character - when you start something, whether you end up liking it or not, do it to the best of your ability, and finish what you start.
 

ShaKh81

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
12
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Sundarban1 said:
If you apply to allopathic schools your masters GPA will not factor into your UG GPA, only your post bacc grades will. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, they will be averaged.

If you apply to osteopathic schools, your masters GPA WILL be factored into your UG GPA, along with your post bacc courses. If you repeat UG classes in your post bacc, the class grades are NOT averaged as they are with applying to allopathic schools. Insted the most recent grade replaces the old grade.
can someone please explain what exactly allopathic and osteopathic schools are, Ive heard those terms being used a lot, but have no idea what theyre referring to. Thanks.
 
About the Ads