Non-servive sector alternatives to pharmacy?

Started by Chemicals
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chemicals

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. i have been browsing the forum for a while now and many people have talked about the current job market and how it is becoming saturated for new pharmacy graduates.


I was wondering if there were any decent alternatives to pharmacy that are not service sector?

Anytime someone is talking about pharmacy alternatives they mention nursing, podiatry, medical doctor, etc. but are there other alternatives?

Preferably something that involves pharmaceutical or biological knowledge with a reasonable salary (+60k).

I have heard that biomedical engineering is in very high demand but will there be many jobs available in that field? The field is currently very small so I'm not sure if large growth necessarily means that the feild has plenty of opportunities.

Any thoughts would be great. thanks.
 
Preferably something that involves pharmaceutical or biological knowledge with a reasonable salary (+60k).

Well, Ph.D in Pharmacology or Biology would would fit that description I guess.

I dont't know anything about biomedical engineering but they do expect to be the fastest growing career in the next decade.



Btw - first post here at SDN 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't go for a Ph.D in a basic science like biology. There are a glut of Ph.D's in basic fields and many of them are barely above 30k/yr. Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry probably wouldn't be bad, you could work as a researcher designing drugs and teach at a school of pharmacy at the same time.
 
You might consider clinical laboratory science (clinical laboratory technologist). You never deal with customers or patients, and it heavily involves biology. It usually requires a bachelor's degree in biology with certain coursework then a 1 year internship. Pay is decent for the level of education (no advanced degree required) at about $57k/year nationally, but where I lived the pay was higher, ~$76k/year (California).

http://www.camlt.org/train.html

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292011.htm

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos096.htm
 
You might consider clinical laboratory science (clinical laboratory technologist). You never deal with customers or patients, and it heavily involves biology. It usually requires a bachelor's degree in biology with certain coursework then a 1 year internship. Pay is decent for the level of education (no advanced degree required) at about $57k/year nationally, but where I lived the pay was higher, ~$76k/year (California).

http://www.camlt.org/train.html

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292011.htm

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos096.htm


that is interesting, I may look into that. The pay is not all that high but it is not the most important thing.

I have also thought about Pharmacology to whoever mentioned that. I would like to do research in that area definitely, how is the job outlook for that?

Btw thanks for the replys everyone