Non-SMP Masters programs??

Started by raebear
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

raebear

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently applying to several SMPs for next year. I'm also applying to a couple non-SMP 1 year masters programs in areas that really interest me (exercise physiology, nutrition, etc). Will attending one of those programs that are not specifically designed to get me into med school still help with my Med school apps?

I'm open to both allopathic/DO. I have a 3.2 GPA, 25 MCAT (obviously going to re-take in the near future). Since my GPA's not very high I'm probably going to wait to apply to med school until after my MS program. I'm worried that if I do an SMP and still don't get into any schools that I'll be sitting here three years from now with a somewhat useless degree. On the other hand, if I do a MS of Exercise Physiology, it could open up some new doors for me if I don't get into any med schools.

What do you think?? Thanks!😳