non-thesis Biology M.S. program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see my chances dwindling today as 5 school have already rejected me. At buffalo I'm under continual review and still waiting on columbia, NYU, and BU. I think it's prudent at this time to consider my options in case I don't get into dental school this year. I like the idea of doing a non-thesis Biology M.S. program for a year. So far I haven't been able to locate any schools offering such a thing in NYC. If anyone has a listing of the schools it would be greatly appreciated. Also when are usually the deadlines for these programs? Hopefully I'm not too late

P.S. UBtom I know you went to St. Johns for your masters but I haven't been able to find any info on it on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Speter,

The website for the graduate biology program at SJU is here:

http://www.stjohns.edu/pls/portal30/sjudev.school.home?p_siteid=38&p_navbar=177&p_id=50448

You can contact Dr. Dipak Haldar at [email protected] for more info-- He's the director of graduate studies at the bio department in the SJU Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Since I was working at the SJU admissions office at the time, one of the graduate admissions counselors helped me with the application. You can shoot them an email too at [email protected]

I think Hofstra also has a non-thesis MS program in biology too... Worth checking out if you don't mind going out to Long Island.

HTH!

Do I have to take the GRE exam? What's that all about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SPeter,

When I was at SJU back in 1998, I didn't need to take the GRE to get into the non-thesis MS program.

I don't know if that policy has changed since though.

I also noticed that St. Johns now also has a pre-professional program (i.e. post-bac!) Maybe that's an option too?

Good luck!

Originally posted by speter33
I see my chances dwindling today as 5 school have already rejected me. At buffalo I'm under continual review and still waiting on columbia, NYU, and BU. I think it's prudent at this time to consider my options in case I don't get into dental school this year. I like the idea of doing a non-thesis Biology M.S. program for a year. So far I haven't been able to locate any schools offering such a thing in NYC. If anyone has a listing of the schools it would be greatly appreciated. Also when are usually the deadlines for these programs? Hopefully I'm not too late

P.S. UBtom I know you went to St. Johns for your masters but I haven't been able to find any info on it on their website.
Um, don't you think maybe you should find out why your original stats didnt make the initial cut and improving on those stats versus spending a whole year on a masters, Speter? Use that time wisely, earn some money, and reapply. Retake the DAT if necessary, or take some grad courses to boost the undergrad GPA, but dont just run out there and enroll in a MS program b/c you didnt get in this year. You can create your own post-bac program anywhere, unless that school has one that they are biased for....for ex., Georgetown Med has a medical post-bac where the top 10% automatically get accepted or something like that.

Originally posted by preludexl
Um, don't you think maybe you should find out why your original stats didnt make the initial cut and improving on those stats versus spending a whole year on a masters, Speter? Use that time wisely, earn some money, and reapply. Retake the DAT if necessary, or take some grad courses to boost the undergrad GPA, but dont just run out there and enroll in a MS program b/c you didnt get in this year. You can create your own post-bac program anywhere, unless that school has one that they are biased for....for ex., Georgetown Med has a medical post-bac where the top 10% automatically get accepted or something like that.
I think my stats are decent enough to get in. I applied late though. But the good news is I just got my first interview invitation. Columbia!!! :clap:

Congratulation Speter! Good luck on your interview!

Originally posted by speter33
I think my stats are decent enough to get in. I applied late though. But the good news is I just got my first interview invitation. Columbia!!! :clap:

Well good for you. I hate seeing people doubt themselves before the fat lady sings. My apologies to all the fat women~
:p

Originally posted by preludexl
Well good for you. I hate seeing people doubt themselves before the fat lady sings. My apologies to all the fat women~
:p
After UMNJ told me that their class was already full on thursday I started to panic and look at my other options. I feel much better today that I got the e-mail from columbia. Maybe I won't have to go to a master's program afterall:)