Non trad chances help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sahra39

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m looking for some help and recommendations for my possible options. I graduated with a BS in Psychology in May of 2018. I took the mcat after graduation in July and received a 501 on the exam. It was the first time I had taken it with only one month of prep. I decided to put off applying to medical school and started working full time and was planning on retaking the mcat and applying in 2019 but my dad had a heart attack that year and I didn’t feel like I would be focused enough to apply and go to medical school until he was healthy again. So I spent the last year working full time as a health aide while also taking care of my dad. I helped him recover and also got him to have a healthy lifestyle and got him to become a controlled diabetic. I am now trying to apply to medical school for the upcoming cycle but am afraid schools will not like that I’ve been out of school for three years (including the year I apply). I would really appreciate any advice on what to do and if you think I would be a good candidate for MD schools. I’m thinking of doing post bacc (not a course but classes) at my undergrad college for the 2020-2021 year by taking classes like Micro, Genetics, Cell Bio, etc.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.5
Research: 1.5 year of oncology research with no publication (01/2018 -06/2019)
Clinical exposure: 500 hrs of ER over 2 yrs, 150 of derm, 150 of FM (2019-2020)

ECs: Tutor for young Inpatients, Pres and VP for 3 clubs during undergrad, tennis team for 1 season, volunteered at a Senior Nursing home for 1 yr, volunteered at a hydroponic farming system at an underserved middle school for 3 summers

Ethnicity: Asian
State: NY

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Around 25% of applicants with your GPA/MCAT Matriculated.

I would do the post-bac route, study for the MCAT, and get more non-clinical volunteering in underserved communities. Essentially apply 2021 with 4.0, > 512 MCAT, and better ECs. This is what I would do, and sounds reasonable to me given your current chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply DO if you are willing. I had a 502 MCAT, and received 3 A's to DO schools, including 2 "top" DO schools. You can still be a physician with a 501, but I would count MD out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think your GPA is okay enough to not have to take more classes FT or anything like that. If you want, take a bio/chem class when not working.

If you do go the post-bacc route, make sure to get a 3.7+ minimum. If you can, study for the MCAT again. Your GPA isn't holding you back from DO schools or some MD schools either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I applied 3 years after I graduated with a BS in psych, with a 504 and 3.5 GPAs and was accepted DO. Your MCAT is lethal for MD, you would need at least a 508-510 on a re-take. but you are fine for DO right now

Honestly, I think your GPA is okay enough to not have to take more classes FT or anything like that. If you want, take a bio/chem class when not working.

If you do go the post-bacc route, make sure to get a 3.7+ minimum. If you can, study for the MCAT again. Your GPA isn't holding you back from DO schools or some MD schools either.

I completely agree with the above poster that your GPA is fine and you don't have to take more classes (unless you feel like taking a class or two would help in better prepping for your mcat retake). It seems like you've stayed relatively busy/productive in your gap years and also have a significant life event that can make for a compelling story in your essays. Have you been involved in any non-clinical volunteering? You didn't really specify if your ECs are current or in the past. If current, awesome -- do well on the MCAT and I think you're in good shape. If not, get more non-clinical volunteering hours, do well on the MCAT, and you're in good shape.

p.s I'm also a non-trad (4+ years out of undergrad) and being non-trad seems more favorable these days; It's definitely helped me much more this cycle than hurt