non trad considering options

Started by jimrjamr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jimrjamr

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Undergrad at UChicago humanities major, 3.6 GPA. (read: no pre-reqs)

Master's in humanities subject from Cambridge.... (I had to resubmit my thesis after switching advisors but the averages were still respectable enough for a 66/65 average. 65 being pass, 70 being a distinction.) Currently revising the thesis for publication.

Currently working in marketing, exploring options in finance....

And of course thinking once again of becoming a doctor in emergency medicine or cardiology. Why? Because I like the way my last name sounds with the title Dr in front of it. (in all seriousness, I do have decent reasons, mainly a longstanding interest in science that I ignored because I didn't love my first and only experience up to that point observing surgery in action...

As a 27 year old what realistically do I need to do to get going? I've been shadowing / volunteering at a well known hospital in a big city. Seriously considering an expensive post baccc program but also looking at broader 'pre-doctoral' research opportunities at universities related to specific ailments...