non trad considering options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimrjamr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Undergrad at UChicago humanities major, 3.6 GPA. (read: no pre-reqs)

Master's in humanities subject from Cambridge.... (I had to resubmit my thesis after switching advisors but the averages were still respectable enough for a 66/65 average. 65 being pass, 70 being a distinction.) Currently revising the thesis for publication.

Currently working in marketing, exploring options in finance....

And of course thinking once again of becoming a doctor in emergency medicine or cardiology. Why? Because I like the way my last name sounds with the title Dr in front of it. (in all seriousness, I do have decent reasons, mainly a longstanding interest in science that I ignored because I didn't love my first and only experience up to that point observing surgery in action...

As a 27 year old what realistically do I need to do to get going? I've been shadowing / volunteering at a well known hospital in a big city. Seriously considering an expensive post baccc program but also looking at broader 'pre-doctoral' research opportunities at universities related to specific ailments...

Members don't see this ad.