Non-Trad, Current Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirOliver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, your application looks fine to me. I'm sure there are things you could do here and there EC wise to make it better, but I don't think that is the issue. I think what might be the problem is that your school list is very competitive. The geographic restrictions and the limits due to your older coursework really only left you with 3 schools that might be considered less competitive. However, Jefferson gets tons of applicants and the UMDNJ's are very IS friendly. Hopefully you will still get good news this cycle (and it wouldn't hurt to send updates to all schools where you haven't been rejected). You don't give the reason for your geographic constraints, but should you need to reapply I would seriously consider branching out a bit. Unfortunately the places you want to be happen to be some of the more difficult spots in terms of getting into med school. :(

Agreed with the above. Your list is very competitive and your stats (well at least your MCAT) falls below the median at most of the schools you applied to.

Also, your list contains some very research-heavy schools. I would question why you applied to so many of them as you said that academics is not for you (unless you were referring specifically to evolutionary genetics). It may make more sense to list your public health fellowship under "research" than "work experience," but from your description, it's hard to tell if you can do so.

Otherwise I think you're a very competitive candidate. You may have some luck at some of the programs you're waiting on, but if you don't, I think you'll have much more success next year if you simply apply more broadly (and since you're applying to so many different locations already, it shouldn't be too difficult to expand it a bit).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm impressed with the strength of your MCAT score considering your time away from the basic courses. I agree with the comments made above.

Besides adding more formal shadowing experience, consider taking some more upper-level science classes. I can see where adcomms might be concerned about your time away from a formal academic situation. Your clinical experience is on the skimpy side unless your current position in the fellowship offers a lot of patient interaction (as is implied) however, presumably these extra hours of experience are not on the Primary application (but have hopefully been communicated by update letter). If you don't have nonmedical commmunity service, that is another desirable area to improve.

Considering your geographic constraints, you might consider adding some of the California, Pacific Northwest, New Jersey, and out-East DO med schools next time around (if there is one).

(didn't see your post above until after I responded, OP)