Non trad, half URM, music major looking for help with school list. cGPA 3.79, sGPA 3.75, 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non trad music major who decided about 2 years ago that I wanted to be a doctor after graduating and some serious reflection. I started college as a premed and did well for a year and a half (3.9 GPA), but switched to music as that was/is a major passion of mine. I completely forgot about medicine and I spent the next 3.5 years practicing as much as possible, learning multiple new instruments, gigging, etc. I really wanted to make it as a professional musician and I worked hard at that goal. Here I am getting ready to apply to medical school though. It's been a strange journey.

I'm not sure where to apply. My stats are decent and I think I have an interesting story (more on that below), however I'm very much not the average premed.

I figure I'll apply to a number of places around the country and see what happens. I currently live in the west and I'd love to stay out here. I'd like to apply to every western school I have a chance at. Even though I'm a big outdoors guy I also think living in a major city (NYC for example) would be cool for a few years too. I'm trying to make a list and I'm not that opposed to most places in the country.

So far I have:
Vermont
Colorado
Utah (maybe a donation? I dunno)

Here's some info

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.79 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 516 (128/127/130/131)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): I'm originally from Vermont, but I've lived in Colorado for the past two years.

Ethnicity and/or race: Half black/half white (but I'm racially ambiguous)

Undergraduate institution or category: University of Vermont

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):

Volunteer: just started at a hospital 4 hours a week. Hoping for 100-200 hours.

Non volunteer: ~1500 hours working as a scribe in a surgical subspecialty

I'll have ~2000 hours working as a ski patroller at a major western resort by the time I apply. We do a lot of different stuff, but medical is a big compenent of it. I'll probably have close to 150-200 patient encounters by the time I'm done. I'll likely see everything from minor orthopedic trauma, to altitude sickness to cardiac arrest. I realize it isn't quite clinical, but ill still be providing basic medical care/evaluations to people and transporting them to higher care.

I'm also going to try to get a ER tech job over the summer/fall

Research experience and productivity: zip/nada. I was a music major and at this point I won't be able to get any.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:

Around 40 hours split between family medicine, hospital medicine, emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery and general surgery

Non-clinical volunteering:

5 hours tutoring an inner city high school kid who lived in government housing (hours are low due to frequent cancelations/conflicts). Wondering if I should even include it?

~300-400 hours volunteering for a sexual assault hotline (talking to survivors in distress, going to SANE exams etc.)

Anything else not listed you think might be important:

Not sure if this all matters but I'll be the first person in my family to go into medicine. Both of my parents only graduated high school and I'm an only child.

Also my parents had significant health issues while I was growing up. Both of them have been disabled since I was 13. My mom had two big strokes during a surgery to fix an aneurysm. These led to a massive personality change along with her loss of ability to care for herself. It felt like I lost my mom for many years until I came to terms with it in my 20s.

My dad is a combat veteran and he had a whole host of issues including ptsd, depression, borderline personality disorder, chronic pain, neurological issues etc while I was growing up. He was in a wheelchair for most of my teenage years and I bore the brunt of a lot of his mental/physical pain. He also became legally addicted to opiates during the throw 100 oxys at everything and anything heyday, which helped nothing.

Both of these things obviously had a profound effect on me and are part of the reason I'm interested in medicine. I spent a lot of time in hospitals growing up, but I think it gave me a semi-unique viewpoint to what patients and their familes go through. I don't think a lot of med students have that experience. I plan to write about these things for some of my essays, but in a deeper way than just "woe is me."

Anyway I'm not sure where I should apply and what tier of school I "qualify" for. Help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some service to communities of color (note the scribing was clinical exposure, not non-clinical), but otherwise, I suggest:
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
U CO

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to see some service to communities of color (note the scribing was clinical exposure, not non-clinical), but otherwise, I suggest:
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
U CO

Hey thanks for sending this over. A couple questions for you

1) What would you say the weak point in my application is? I'm guessing volunteering with communities of color is a big one along with research. Unfortunately I live in a semi remote mountain area and there aren't a ton of opportunities in that regard for either of those things. The nearest big city is about 1.5 hours. Besides volunteering with communities of color and research is there anything I should realllllly try to improve in the next six months?

2) perhaps a dumb question but what exactly qualifies as service to communities of color? Volunteer opportunities aren't exactly advisertised as that (from what I've seen). I was hoping to get more hours with the tutoring thing I was doing. I've since moved about 1.5 hours from that though.

3) what kind of places will my lack of research be a death sentence? I was peeking at the MSAR and there's a bunch of "higher" tier schools where my GPA/MCAT is close to the median (either above, equal to or below), however I don't know if it's worth applying there. Most schools report high premed research involvement from what I've seen regardless if it's a well known research place. UVM has something like 95% premed research involvement according to the MSAR.

4) your list seems to include a lot of mid-western schools. That might be my fault as I mentioned the west, but I meant more in the mountain-y west. Any other schools in that area I should consider? I was thinking about University of Washington, Oregon and Utah, but it sounds like they aren't very out of state friendly. What about other Northeast schools?

5) not really a question, but I was surprised by some of the medians of these schools. I wouldn't guess that USF has a 517 mcat median

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need research, it doesn't really fit your narrative anyways.

IMO your best shot is at schools in the 20-50 range but you'd be nuts to not include a handful of top 20 schools as well.

I'd add Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Pritzker, Pitt? Something like that.

1) What would you say the weak point in my application is? I'm guessing volunteering with communities of color is a big one along with research. Unfortunately I live in a semi remote mountain area and there aren't a ton of opportunities in that regard for either of those things. The nearest big city is about 1.5 hours. Besides volunteering with communities of color and research is there anything I should realllllly try to improve in the next six months?

Research is over-rated as as an EC. You have a good variety of ECs, overall.

2) perhaps a dumb question but what exactly qualifies as service to communities of color? Volunteer opportunities aren't exactly advisertised as that (from what I've seen). I was hoping to get more hours with the tutoring thing I was doing. I've since moved about 1.5 hours from that though.

Service to others less fortunate than yourself, and particularly in those communities. So tutoring would be fine, as an example. You can't be docked for something that isn't there, in terms of a pool of people to serve. Rural communities are certainly under-served, and so that can be fine a substitute.

3) what kind of places will my lack of research be a death sentence? I was peeking at the MSAR and there's a bunch of "higher" tier schools where my GPA/MCAT is close to the median (either above, equal to or below), however I don't know if it's worth applying there. Most schools report high premed research involvement from what I've seen regardless if it's a well known research place. UVM has something like 95% premed research involvement according to the MSAR.

Most matriculants have research because it's just something that got ingrained as a box to check. It's nice to have some understanding of the scientific principle, though. Being half URM will outweigh the lack of research.

4) your list seems to include a lot of mid-western schools. That might be my fault as I mentioned the west, but I meant more in the mountain-y west. Any other schools in that area I should consider? I was thinking about University of Washington, Oregon and Utah, but it sounds like they aren't very out of state friendly. What about other Northeast schools?

State schools favor the home team, and schools like U WA only take people from the WWAMI states. You might be OK for U UT. OR H&S would be a donation.

You could add:
Wake
MCW
Creighton
Tulane
UCSF
Kaiser
CalMed
Gtown
U Toledo

Any other suggestions @Faha?
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
Vermont
Dartmouth
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
USF Morsani
Miami
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Kaiser

In your shoes I'd add a few reach schools like UCSF, Stanford, or Columbia 'cause your ECs are solid and your life story fairly compelling. I think you also get to check the "disadvantaged" box - which will help you in admissions. Good luck!