Non-Trad Need HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joel Murphy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm an older guy. I have a bachelor degree in History and a Law Degree. I've worked as an attorney for 7.5 years. I hated it and I wasn't being true to myself. I quit, worked 3 other jobs and settled at a new job. I got a job at a psychiatric hospital in a non-medical role. I've been working this job for 3 years and love the environment; this is what I'm truly passionate about. Despite the pay cut, this where I belong and what I want to commit the rest of my life too.

I want to become a psychiatrist. I realize its not very lucrative but I want to help people with mental health issues. I've been volunteering with NAMI for 1.5 years.

Basically, I have none of the science pre-reqs that would make me eligible for medical school. I am wondering if there are any schools where I can directly apply to and forego the pre-reqs? My job doesn't pay very high so I'd be willing to go overseas to expedite the medical education process. Caribbean,India, China; I don't mind. I just need to know how to go about the process. I just don't know if its worth it to do the pre-reqs, take mcat and possibly not get accepted in medical school.

It took me a long time to realize what I am passionate about, and I don't want to spend any more time than I have to to start living my dreams.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I'm an older guy. I have a bachelor degree in History and a Law Degree. I've worked as an attorney for 7.5 years. I hated it and I wasn't being true to myself. I quit, worked 3 other jobs and settled at a new job. I got a job at a psychiatric hospital in a non-medical role. I've been working this job for 3 years and love the environment; this is what I'm truly passionate about. Despite the pay cut, this where I belong and what I want to commit the rest of my life too.

I want to become a psychiatrist. I realize its not very lucrative but I want to help people with mental health issues. I've been volunteering with NAMI for 1.5 years.

Basically, I have none of the science pre-reqs that would make me eligible for medical school. I am wondering if there are any schools where I can directly apply to and forego the pre-reqs? My job doesn't pay very high so I'd be willing to go overseas to expedite the medical education process. Caribbean,India, China; I don't mind. I just need to know how to go about the process. I just don't know if its worth it to do the pre-reqs, take mcat and possibly not get accepted in medical school.

It took me a long time to realize what I am passionate about, and I don't want to spend any more time than I have to to start living my dreams.

Well, going to be honest and a bit blunt. I don't know about overseas but no school is going to take you with out the pre-reqs. Truth is you really need to have a good grasp in those pre-reqs to get through the med school. Looks like you are worried about age, but I don't know how old you are. Any how may be someone else can tell you about the overseas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Like I told the other guy, there are no shortcuts in this process. You're either willing to commit to the decade minimum of training that is going to be necessary for you to become a psychiatrist, or you find something else to do with your life.

Do you have any science background at all? If not, I recommend starting slowly. Take one math class this summer to get your feet wet. College algebra, trig, calculus, or biostats would all be good choices depending on where you left off on the math sequence in college. These classes aren't required for most med schools, but a good math background is essential for doing well in your physical sciences (gen chem and physics). In the fall, you can start taking the prereqs and then prepare for and take the MCAT. Realistically, if you keep working while you take prereqs, you can expect to be ready to apply in two years (i.e., summer of 2016 to start med school in 2017). It may be possible for you to apply a year earlier if you go to school full time and take all four of the prereqs at once, but don't take more classes at the expense of performing well in them or on the MCAT. It's far more important to get straight As in the prereqs (or as close to it as you can manage) than it is to finish them all quickly.

Getting clinical experience is also essential to a successful app. I assume you interact with patients as part of your job? What about physicians? See if you can do a little shadowing with the psychiatrists. Ideally, you will want one of them to write you a letter of recommendation when you apply if possible.

If you aim for DO, you won't have a problem. You may never get into a psych residency if you go overseas-- there are tons of FMGs hanging around the country, applying for residency every year without success. If you go DO, you a. won't have a problem getting in (assuming you are of average intelligence), and b. won't have a problem getting a psych residency. So just start taking your pre-reqs slowly and keep your day job-- it will help you when you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I would highly recommend against entering medical school without a solid foundation in the sciences (physics, chem, bio). It doesn't matter which part of the world you attend medical school, if you aren't strong in the sciences you will simply not make it past the first block. I certainly understand the time factor but like it or not this is a marathon and not a sprint.

If you are determined to pursue a career in medicine then do it the right way. Also if working as a mental health professional is something that really appeals to you then there are other avenues like PhD-clinical psych, PsyD, LCSW etc. that can help you get there faster.

Best of luck

It's also really hard to do well on the MCAT without that science foundation.

what kind of attorney?

You probably can find some med school overseas, but forget about getting a residency.

Minimum: two years of school work:

Year 1: Basic Bio +Basic Chem
Year 2: Organic Chem + Physics
Then take the MCAT
In the mean time, you'll also need the relevant ECs. The NAMI volunteering will be helpful, but not sufficient.

To the OP, I have to chime in with the EC's. You really, really need to see exactly what you'll be up against if you become a physician. Patients. Some are kind, considerate, will listen to every word you say. Then...there are others.

Here's a question I pose to every patient I assess when I first arrive on shift, "Tell me what made you come to the ER today?"

Answer: "Read my chart. It's in there", "I've been throwing up. I don't want to talk...Can I eat? What the he$%?? Hey (to said family member), go get me some chips", "Well, when I was 12, mother told me I wasn't good for anyone. Then I ate too much. I'm >70 and I still eat to much. I do have diabetes you know but I take my insulin when I feel like I need it. No I don't have a sugar machine at home. I just take whatever I feel like taking. BTW: I eat once a day. I have to go to the bathroom and I can't walk or wait...oops, I couldn't wait. I'm wet" or to my resident friends, "You're not a real doctor. I want a real doctor."

Please, get some EC's. In the end, all you may want to do is become a counselor.

You probably can find some med school overseas, but forget about getting a residency.

Minimum: two years of school work:

Year 1: Basic Bio +Basic Chem
Year 2: Organic Chem + Physics
Then take the MCAT
In the mean time, you'll also need the relevant ECs. The NAMI volunteering will be helpful, but not sufficient.

With the new MCAT he will also need to fit in Biochem, Intro to Psych and Intro to Sociology as well.

With the new MCAT he will also need to fit in Biochem, Intro to Psych and Intro to Sociology as well.
Make that two-three years of prep work.
Yeah, good point. I was thinking about the basic science prereqs, but OP may need to do these other courses as well. If so, change my timeline above to 2 years full time for post bacc + MCAT prep, or 3-4 years part time. Again, no shortcuts possible. You're either in this for the long haul or you go find something else to do.

I think it's important not to mix up pre-requisites and MCAT requirements. I don't think all schools are planing to add more coursework to the their pre-reqs to cover the change in MCAT content. Obviously it's best to take the courses associated with the MCAT content, but it starts to get a bit excessive at some point too in addition to whatever your degree requirements are. My state school currently lists ethics, psychology, and sociology as recommended courses for applicants (with a requirement to have one humanities course).

But I agree that you need to do this right the first time around and try to find shortcuts. Everyone always says this is a marathon, not a sprint, you're going to be in training for a long time if you go down this path. Time to get used to it.

If you have a law degree and enjoy working with in the mental health field, have you considered working in patient advocacy or even forensic psychology? You would most likely have an excellent chance of getting into a PsyD program or Counseling ED/PhD if you are more interested in counseling. It would take somewhere around five years to complete, but you would be working in the field heavily after the first few years. I have an MS in Clinical Psych and have been debating the MD vs PhD path myself for a few years now. I've just started the pre-reqs for Medical School with the intention of going into Psychiatry as well. The road looks pretty long and windy from here.