Non-trad PCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayak30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Yet another PCAT prep post! I would appreciate any help you guys can offer, or at least point me in the right direction?

I am a non-trad student switching from pre-med to pre-pharm. I have Berkeley Review MCAT prep book, as well as Exam Krakers 1001 questions for Inorganic, Organic, Bio. I also have the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal workbook, as well as the EK Verbal.

1) Is it possible to use MCAT books to prep for the PCAT? Did anyone here take both exams? How different are the question styles/exams?

2) Is there a PCAT study plan that anyone recommends? I'd like to avoid paying for a prep class. (The MCAT forum had a study plan posted that I was planning to follow that is why I purchased the above books last year, does this forum have anything similar for PCAT?)

3) What are the best prep books for PCAT?

Thank you all in advance! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, my responses are in bold.

Hello,

Yet another PCAT prep post! I would appreciate any help you guys can offer, or at least point me in the right direction?

I am a non-trad student switching from pre-med to pre-pharm. I have Berkeley Review MCAT prep book, as well as Exam Krakers 1001 questions for Inorganic, Organic, Bio. I also have the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal workbook, as well as the EK Verbal.

1) Is it possible to use MCAT books to prep for the PCAT? Did anyone here take both exams? How different are the question styles/exams?

Haven't taken the MCAT but I would guess that most of the material is the same. I know they cover the same subjects so there is really only so much they can draw from to make the exams unique. I would say any good MCAT book should be likewise good for PCAT prep, but if I were you I would look into the exact specifics of each exam (checking the Pearson website) and not necessarily listen to a random forum-goer for something that could have a big impact on your future.

2) Is there a PCAT study plan that anyone recommends? I'd like to avoid paying for a prep class. (The MCAT forum had a study plan posted that I was planning to follow that is why I purchased the above books last year, does this forum have anything similar for PCAT?)

What do you mean by a study plan? Do you really need something comprehensive to get started? Just take the Pearson PCAT practice exam and see where you need the most work. Start reading one of the books/guides I suggest below and spend extra time in the areas that are giving you more difficulty.

3) What are the best prep books for PCAT?

Probably the most widely recommended PCAT study guide is Dr. Collins. It's expensive but it apparently is the most exhaustive coverage of material. I would not recommend the Kaplan book (truly it sucks), it is not worth the paper it is printed on. I am a HUGE fan of the Princeton Review "Cracking the PCAT", it's only ~$15, but don't let the price fool you. Excellent book that has much more than the knowledge (such as test taking, time saving strategies, etc). If you feel like you are decent on the material I would suggest Princeton over Dr. Collins. Saves you the money and will give you some other PCAT tips that are helpful. If you have the time and the money? Get both.

Thank you all in advance! :oops:

I can't seem to find Dr. Collins book for sale. If I use my MCAT books can I just supplement the Calculus and Verbal with any other books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr collins is not a book. Its a series of packets. Just google dr collins pcat prep and you will find a site that you can ordee a self study or schedule an in person class. I just got my packets in the mail yesterday. .. they look like they will eeallu help

Dr collins is not a book. Its a series of packets. Just google dr collins pcat prep and you will find a site that you can ordee a self study or schedule an in person class. I just got my packets in the mail yesterday. .. they look like they will eeallu help

Ah, thank you for clarifying that for me! Those are some expensive packets, but I look forward to getting them anyway. I think that if I did Berkley Review MCAT prep it might be overkill for the PCAT. Thanks for your help!

Ah, thank you for clarifying that for me! Those are some expensive packets, but I look forward to getting them anyway. I think that if I did Berkley Review MCAT prep it might be overkill for the PCAT. Thanks for your help!

Also you can get them used for about 2/3 of the normal price.. you do not need the "2013" version as they haven't changed. I believe there is a spot on these forums you can check where someone may be selling them as well.