Non Trad Post Bacc: Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuentinT88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So some background about me: 26 years old male. Worked 1 year after undergrad as an Implementation Consultant and then was promoted to an Associate Project Manager where I worked for another year. The company was a major Electronics Healthcare Records (EHR/EMR) company, in which I gained valuable professional experience in healthcare technology. Through this time, I figured out that I wanted to pursue clinical medicine as a career.

Education Background: I graduated in 2011 from a top 20 university with only a 3.01 cgpa. This was due to a lack of direction / immaturity which I take full responsibility for. My concentration was in History/Economics, so I took 0 premed courses. Since Jan 2014, I have been taking post bacc classes at a local state school. Next summer is my last semester taking classes before my MCAT.

Here is the bottom line: I am anticipating finishing with a cpga of a 3.25, a sgpa of a 3.6.

Additional Info: I am a URM male, I have 1 year clinical research at a top medical school, 2 semesters tutoring in Chemistry, 30+ hours shadowing in FM, IM, OB/GYN, Opthamology, and Preventive Medicine, 60+ hours volunteering in a clinical setting, 2 years of mentoring an at risk youth, and numerous other non-clinical volunteering involvement. So far my post bacc gpa is a 3.9

Assuming I get a 30+ on the MCAT, what are my chances for getting into an MD program? Will I need to score at a 33+?

I appreciate your advice!
@Catalystik @Goro
@gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the 33 is a good score to shoot for- it's the median for med school matriculants, after all.