MD Non-trad reapplicant: do I have a shot anywhere next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapefruit moon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve had two false starts now in applying to MD schools. 2017, I submitted my primary but no secondaries. This past cycle, I submitted my primary but only one secondary. I got an interview and was rejected. I am going through a divorce, which has been a hindrance on my ability to focus on my app. I’m worried that my half-hearted attempts over the past two cycles are a huge red flag and will put any school completely off the idea of accepting me.

Stats:

Non-traditional (6 years between high school and undergrad) White female, first gen college graduate

3.97 cGPA
516 MCAT (second attempt, 511 1st try)

English major
Biology minor
Chemistry minor
Film Studies certificate

EC’s

10 years working at a public library
3 years store clerk at a bakery
1.5 years ED scribing
2 years hospital/clinic volunteering
2 years ELL tutoring
2 years gen chem tutoring
2.5 years molecular bio research with 2 posters
1 week PCP shadowing
Won my university’s academic achievement award, dean’s/provost’s lists
2 years pharm tech (current job)

I’m not sure how many/which schools would even want to interview me if I apply a third time. If I get an interview, I’m worried I’ll still blow it, trying to make excuses for dropping the ball twice. I’m also very shy and do not interview well, even with practice.

Any advice?

The most important question is this—if you start applying again, will you definitely see it through this time? If you can unequivicably answer yes to this question, proceed. If you’re not sure, and think that if any new personal stress arises, you would cease and desist again, do not waste your third (and arguably last chance) to apply.

Two false starts is a huge red flag. If interviewed, the best course is to be honest—tell them you withdrew because of personal issues at home with your family that are now settled and dealt with. As for being a bad interviewer, I don’t believe you can’t improve with significant significant practice. Ask a mentor to push you hard and mock interview you until you’ve got some of the easier answers down pat. Meditate, see a therapist, whatever it takes to improve your interviewing techniques—because not being able to hold a simple conversation with a stranger is also an enormous red flag regarding your social skills.

Finally, I’d recommend a few extra shadowing hours to beef up your application. It sounds like you’ve worked hard, studied hard, and really want this. Don’t blow it and be strong.

When you apply again you should apply in June and complete ALL your secondaries by July, I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa
Mayo (both schools)
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Western Michigan
St .Louis
Tulane
Boston University