Non Trad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am considering applying to podiatry school in a few years. Does anyone know how podiatry schools evaluate older non traditional students. I am finishing up my pre reqs and will 31 by the time I apply. I appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a non-trad applicant and I was interviewed by several of the schools (Cali, Temple, Scholl, Ohio, NY), so I don't think that it will be an issue and I was older than you when I started. You will be fine.

You are judged the same as everyone else: prereqs, gpa and mcats

They will ask you at your interview how you will deal with being surrounded by younger students, how you will adjust to full-time school/rigorous course load, do you understand the commitment to a 7yr program and/or other age or time sensitive concerns.

Anticipate the questions, answer competently and confidently and you will be just fine. They are not going to ask you anything you haven't debated yourself or discussed with your friends/loved ones before making this decision.

Good luck in your prereqs and don't stress too hard! I'm a nontrad and I start pod school in the Fall. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say 50% of my class is made up of non-traditional students

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all of your responses. The only thing that worries me is that when it comes to residency is there any age bias by program directors? Would a program director be more willing to accept a younger candidate to their residency program then an older one? I am really hoping residency selection boils down to grades and who impresses the most during externships. Thanks for your help.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all of your responses. The only thing that worries me is that when it comes to residency is there any age bias by program directors? Would a program director be more willing to accept a younger candidate to their residency program then an older one? I am really hoping residency selection boils down to grades and who impresses the most during externships. Thanks for your help.

your experience should help, not hurt, when it comes time for a residency. You will still be young, for 40 is the new 20 :D