Non-trad trying to apply this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

significantgene23

Reaction score
Hello I am a non-traditional student trying to apply this cycle, I was originally pre med in college. Life happened, and COVID happened so I really though I didn't want to go into medicine and did a detour with other jobs and interests. But my wife had severe complications during here pregnancy and delivery and it really made me realize that I still long for the idea of becoming a doctor. I am a low income URM (I know this does not matter anymore, but I still thought it was worth mentioning) and currently a high school science teacher and aspire to apply to medical school this cycle. I will be taking the MCAT in early August (I know late) and from the looks of it my score seems promising, my gpa is 3.83 cGPA and 3.8 sGPA from a T-20 University. However, I only have 350 clinical hours from the past (2017-2019) and I am currently starting a new clinical volunteer position this week actually. Will my lack of current clinical volunteer hours absolutely prevent me from getting in despite already making the commitment to the new clinical volunteer program? Should I wait to apply because of my late MCAT and lack of current clinical volunteer hours? My LORs and PS were ready, but I had some people tell me it is not worth trying this cycle and to wait until the next one. Any advice helps, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the nature of your 350 clinical hours ? Do you have any in person physician shadowing hours or non clinical volunteering hours? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?

What is the nature of your 350 clinical hours ? Do you have any in person physician shadowing hours or non clinical volunteering hours? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?
I was research clinical volunteer at my University's hospital which also let me shadow physicians. Yes, to non-clinical volunteer, I tutored middle school children on the weekends during my undergrad. I am Cuban and speak fluent Spanish, I am in CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should wait until the next cycle a year from now. An August MCAT is late for MD schools for this cycle. You would also benefit from your new clinical volunteering hours (200+ hours would be ideal). You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 150 hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. Post your MCAT score here when available.

Reactions: 1 users
You should wait until the next cycle a year from now. An August MCAT is late for MD schools for this cycle. You would also benefit from your new clinical volunteering hours (200+ hours would be ideal). You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 150 hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. Post your MCAT score here when available.
If I am able to score a 515 on the MCAT do you think I have a shot despite the score being late and not having current volunteer experience? I also have a bunch of paid positions where I helped disadvantaged communities through education/tutoring and health literacy. Will working on the aspects you mentioned during this upcoming year not suffice? Totally understand if it isnt possible, but I put so much effort in these past two months to apply this cycle, but if it isnt possible at all, I will postpone my application.

If I am able to score a 515 on the MCAT do you think I have a shot despite the score being late and not having current volunteer experience? I also have a bunch of paid positions where I helped disadvantaged communities through education/tutoring and health literacy. Will working on the aspects you mentioned during this upcoming year not suffice? Totally understand if it isnt possible, but I put so much effort in these past two months to apply this cycle, but if it isnt possible at all, I will postpone my application.
I agree with Faha.
Although you are eager and motivated you won't be presenting your best possible application if you are complete as late as September and applying without enough activity hours.
You want your best chance, do it next spring!

Reactions: 1 users
I am a low income URM (I know this does not matter anymore, but I still thought it was worth mentioning)
First of all, don't believe this. It totally matters because you matter. How you became you matters.

To your question, getting more recent hours will help. It takes a bit more organization and effort to do things without the structure of an undergrad office, but this also means you can dive more deeply into volunteering and clinical experience. You will get credit at many programs if you were employed as a teacher, so get some additional experience as your schedule allows.

Take your time to put up your best application early. Get connected to mentors at SNMA or LMSA officers at schools you are targeting. As a URM, it will be even more important that you get connected.

Pre-writing secondaries will help you with time management at this time next year when you submit compared to rushing through late in September or October when offers begin going out.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say wait. There is a chance you could get in this year, but you are then a reapplicant if you don't get in this time around. If I made a list of important aspects of a successful app (in my opinion), having a complete full package application ready to go on day one of when the application season opens would be near the top.

Think about how your app will be perceived. The app season is long and schools like to get on the process as soon as they can typically. At best, your app will end up on the 'maybe' pile without an MCAT score. Someone will have to intercept that score, find your app, and then evaluate it again. This is after all these other stellar apps have been reviewed that are complete (and invites extended). We can never say for sure, but I'd bet that would result in at least fewer interview invites for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say wait. There is a chance you could get in this year, but you are then a reapplicant if you don't get in this time around. If I made a list of important aspects of a successful app (in my opinion), having a complete full package application ready to go on day one of when the application season opens would be near the top.

Think about how your app will be perceived. The app season is long and schools like to get on the process as soon as they can typically. At best, your app will end up on the 'maybe' pile without an MCAT score. Someone will have to intercept that score, find your app, and then evaluate it again. This is after all these other stellar apps have been reviewed that are complete (and invites extended). We can never say for sure, but I'd bet that would result in at least fewer interview invites for you.
Thank you so much, I appreciate the honesty!

First of all, don't believe this. It totally matters because you matter. How you became you matters.

To your question, getting more recent hours will help. It takes a bit more organization and effort to do things without the structure of an undergrad office, but this also means you can dive more deeply into volunteering and clinical experience. You will get credit at many programs if you were employed as a teacher, so get some additional experience as your schedule allows.

Take your time to put up your best application early. Get connected to mentors at SNMA or LMSA officers at schools you are targeting. As a URM, it will be even more important that you get connected.

Pre-writing secondaries will help you with time management at this time next year when you submit compared to rushing through late in September or October when offers begin going out.
Thank you so much!