DO Non-Trad URM 3.0uGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 3.1 PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student at a major state school (UF) planning on applying in next year's cycle. urrently looking for advice on what I need to increase my chances and offset my GPA. MCAT is pending.

backstory: orphan who's parents died from HIV, went into pharmacy to help this patient population. Pharmacy has very few options to directly interact with patients. The patient centered care model and the DO view of a patient as a whole has led me into the DO profession.

Patient Interaction: monthly community blood glucose screenings fairs, 2 year Walgreens Pharmacy Intern , 1 year of clinical rotations with 2 hours of contact each day.

Volunteering/Leadership: 3 year member of volunteer society with several leadership positions (Animal volunteer coordinator, relay for life team captain for 2 years w/ ~$30k fundraised) basically, Historian for Breast Cancer Organization, participation in 3 HIV Community Outreach Fairs

Shadowing (so far): 5 hours surgery shadowing, 10 hours shadowing ID interdisciplinary team (MD/RPh), 40h shadowing ER interdisciplinary team (MD/RPh/RN/PA), with plans to shadow ID DO in summer. From these shadowing experiences I have MORE than enough reasons to explain why i want to go from Pharm--> DO.

Research: None, and there really isnt any way for me to participate in any sciencey hypothesis driven research at any point.

I'm studying for the MCAT and I feel I'll do well on it with my exhaustive background in sciences. Is there anything I should in the following ~1.5 years to increase my chances? Is my GPA spread going to really hold me back? Is my URM/family background a noticeable boost?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: