Non-traditional application thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuleye

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I was just wondering what you thought my chances were of getting accepted to optometry school..
I would be a non-traditional candidate, 27 with a bachelors in politics and a masters in public health.
my sGPA was horrible in undergrad due to an chronic illness that required me to withdraw from a class and fail another. Those being physics and bio respectively. Decided to switch majors during my time of treatment.
I completed my masters degree in public health to better understand and prepare me for patient care,
Ive been working in a ophthalmology/optometry/lasik clinics since 2016-current and have all three recommendation letters from physicians who can attest to my work ethic, working full time while completing a masters degree full time.

I retook some prerequisites, retook BIO and got an A in lecture and lab, got a B in micro, B+ in biochem, and will be retaking physics and calc this coming semester. I just wanted to retake these to show that I am good at science courses and that semester in undergrad was due to the medical condition.
I am planning on taking my OAT in november if possible, but will try to apply to a school that doesnt need an OAT score.

MY cGPA for undergrad was a 2.9 due to those courses, my major gpa ended up being a 3.4.
MY cGPA for grad school was 3.351. And my final research was on "Cost-effectiveness analysis of crosslinking in keratoconus patients"

If you want more aspects of my application please let me know, but what do you think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances are fair considering your experience in the field and keratoconus research! I think with a strong personal statement and LORs you will be in good shape for schools that do not have minimums for GPA. Even if your science GPA is not great, schools also look for a upward trend which you can show by getting As in bio and Bs in biochem/micro. From what admissions committees have told me, I would consider taking the GRE because very little amounts of schools are totally test optional instead of OAT optional. However, I think a strong OAT score (340+) would actually make you competitive.

I think your chances are fair considering your experience in the field and keratoconus research! I think with a strong personal statement and LORs you will be in good shape for schools that do not have minimums for GPA. Even if your science GPA is not great, schools also look for a upward trend which you can show by getting As in bio and Bs in biochem/micro. From what admissions committees have told me, I would consider taking the GRE because very little amounts of schools are totally test optional instead of OAT optional. However, I think a strong OAT score (340+) would actually make you competitive.

Thanks for your reply! Do you think i should address my previous issues in my personal statement? I was hoping the admissions people would see my new prerequisites and give me the chance to explain during the interview.