Non traditional MD/PhD options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seldomseen

Back of nowhere.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm interested in finding out more about non-traditional MD/PhD options, specifically for PhD options in philosophy/ethics.

Does anybody know of such programs?

Also, is there a list of them somewhere out there that anyone knows of? That is, aside from researching each school individually (which is what i've been doing so far without much luck), is there any website that can point me in the right direction or gives a good summary of such info?

thanks for all your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi seldomseen,

Not sure about the list of schools, but some programs are more flexible than others. For instance, here at Pitt you can pursue a PhD at either UPItt or Carnegie-Mellon. We've had some students go into epidemiology, social sciences, and ethics; although the majority are biomed sciences or Bioeng.

Your best bet is to look up individual program websites for more info!

i think Penn allows you to do the PhD in almost any department that they have...

Members don't see this ad :)
UIUC's Medical Scholars Program also allows you to do your PhD in any department on the UIUC campus.

University of Chicago also has an MD/PhD program in the Social Sciences and Humanities.

UCSF has a program as well I think.

stherling said:
i think Penn allows you to do the PhD in almost any department that they have...

Though there is very few spots for it. We have a non-trad PhD once every few years and many of those are change of heart people once they're in the program.

This is true for many other schools that claim to allow PhDs in other areas. They're often very rare at these schools or unfunded.