• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

pBar

MSTP c/o 2028
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Just curious as to the representation of MD-PhD students on SDN that are currently preparing to pursue or are in the midst of pursuing an MD-PhD in non-traditional research areas (i.e. non-basic science/lab bench), such as medical anthropology, public health, health policy, health behavior, etc.? I have been accepted to one of my top choice MD-PhD programs for next Fall and will be pursuing a PhD in health policy and implementation science. Just wanted to see who else are social-science researchers here on SDN and their experiences.

Serac

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
There are some students at a variety of programs, but the overall percentage is fairly low I imagine. My project spans from molecular work to public health and policy, with more time and effort placed on the latter. A lot of students at my program have entirely computational projects, a few are education-based PhDs, etc. and I think variation is becoming increasingly common. Overall, success is pretty comparable across the spectrum at my program. Feel free to PM me if you want specifics or have any questions.
Also, there is an annual meeting (National Conference for Physician-Scholars in the Social Sciences and Humanities) hosted by U of Michigan which might be worth checking out in your case. Best of luck and enjoy your training.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.