Non-traditional needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soupkitchen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 29 year old Dental Lab tech that wants to become a dentist. I have been working in the field for the last 7+ years. And I have a wife and three kids. I am looking at what my options are, And I need some advice. I have not taken any college courses so I will be starting from scratch. I want to know if taking online courses or you going part time would look bad. I have looked through the threads so I know that neither of those things are good, but I don't really have other options at this point. I work 40+ hours a week, Monday through Friday and need to continue supporting my family. When and if it happens, when I get into Dental school I would cease working and put my time and effort into dental school. And I recognise that some of the prerequisites require me to be at the university for labs so I will not be taking those courses online. But what would my best option be, part time or online? Or any other advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Part-time may be your best option. Avoid taking too many online classes, I would recommend fulfilling your English requirements online though...

Reactions: 1 users
I did online classes and part time because of family. I don't know if it was a hindrance (4 interviews/4 acceptances/10 total applied kind of late), but I took major sciences at a 4 yr. I did my gen-eds online.
I would go part time for major sciences (Chem and Bio), gen-eds (English, Psych, maybe lower maths if you have to catch up) online.
Do amazing and explain your situation and I think you'll be great :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing the exact same thing as you. Have been a CDT for 6 years and I'm 27 just started a couple semesters ago. I work 50 hours a week and have taken a full load. Currently doing 12 hours this summer. Half online half night classes at my 4 year univ. Good luck it can be done!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone, these have been most helpful and encouraging!