Non-Traditional Newbie needs help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kayscarpetta_PA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow non-traditionals. I am in the process of filling out the AMCAS application but not without difficulty.

I graduated with a B.S. in Biology in 1998, then did some post-graduate work in Forensic Sciences. I am not sure how to classify these courses (in other words are they included in the BCPM GPA). It is my understanding all classes ever taken are included in the GPA, even if they were done post-graduate.

Does anyone have insight on how to classify these classes:

Introduction to Forensic Science
Forensic Microscopy (analysis of hairs/fibers/glass)
Forensic Analysis (of controlled substances)
Forensic Biochemistry (analysis of body fluids, etc)

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what to tell you in regard to BCPM, since I've heard conflicting things myself. If I were to venture a guess, I would assume that (if they were counted), they would be averaged into your B or C averages.

No, graduate classes are factored into your graduate GPA, not your BCPM GPA. I'd suggest reading the instructions on the AMCAS web site, as they are very detailed about how to classify different types of courses. But, you definitely do not count graduate courses as BCPM.

EDIT: Because none of my graduate classes were BCPM, I tried to double-check for you, but %^#$*@## AMCAS is picky about what browsers they allow. Ever since I upgraded to IE7, I can't log on. GRRRRRRRR!

Members don't see this ad :)
jota_jota said:
No, graduate classes are factored into your graduate GPA, not your BCPM GPA. I'd suggest reading the instructions on the AMCAS web site, as they are very detailed about how to classify different types of courses. But, you definitely do not count graduate courses as BCPM.

I'll happily defer to jota on this.

Hmmm....these classes are post-bac, but not graduate level. I actually already have a Master's Degree, but I am speaking of classes I took right after I graduated. I can see AMCAS says to include post-bac classes but because these are Forensics it is a grey area ...they involved laboratory work without question (Chromatography, UV, Mass spec, DNA gel electrophoresis). Filling out this application is becoming more difficult than last Sat's MCAT!!!

Thanks for any advice you can impart.

Kayscarpetta_PA said:
Hmmm....these classes are post-bac, but not graduate level. I actually already have a Master's Degree, but I am speaking of classes I took right after I graduated. I can see AMCAS says to include post-bac classes but because these are Forensics it is a grey area ...they involved laboratory work without question (Chromatography, UV, Mass spec, DNA gel electrophoresis). Filling out this application is becoming more difficult than last Sat's MCAT!!!

Let me tell you just the little I know. I called AMCAS earlier this summer and after a wonderful 38 minutes waiting to speak to a customer rep, the answer I received is that only basic classes (phys, chem, bio, etc. listed on your transcript AS BIO, CHEM, etc.) should be classified as such, thus going into your BCPM. I graduated with my MS in Occupational Therapy, a little different than Forensic Science, but in my pre-graduate program, we took Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, and Pharmacology--definite upper-level bio if you ask me. However, my classes on my transcript were classified as HSCI, since only the PT/OT students took these classes at my college and that particular college was the Health Science college. So, even though on AMCAS' website, anatomy should be listed under Biology, I still classified it as Health Science. I just didn't want it to be tagged when they referred to my transcript, thus delaying my application--and the AMCAS lady said as much, as well. That is why they have a separate section for Engineering classes. They have components that are much like physics, chemistry, etc., however, they are different. Clear as mud? If you really want an answer, I would call AMCAS directly and ask them. It is a gray area....

Kayscarpetta_PA said:

If they are not graduate level, then they are BCPM if they are taught by the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math departments, or the exceptions explicitly listed in the instructions (for example, Astronomy courses are considered Physics courses for AMCS purposes.)