non-traditional optometry student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trojan1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any idea on how optometry schools view non-traditional students...i'm 32 y.o...have an MBA from a pretty good b-school...and some solid professional work experience.

grazie!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a TON of non-trad here at ICO. Teachers (a lot of teachers!), CPAs, buissness, IT/IS, and just those who wondered around for a while.

From what I can tell, they think non-trads are great. I like them, they are here b/c they know what they want. I usually end up being friends with them more than those my age.

You should not have a problem.

Comforting to hear :) I'm 27 and worked in IT for the past 5 years and will be going to SCCO this fall. At my interview, it seemed that everyone else was 23 max. I also interviewed at ICO and the 2 other people interviewing with me were 21/22, so I was a bit concerned about fitting in as well. However, I did think that being older can only help to get accepted, so if you are a non-trad, you should play it up at the interview ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
UHCO has many non-trads. Quite a few teachers, some engineers, myself a former biotechnology employee (there's another girl in my class from the same company as well).

I'm not the oldest in my class (that person is 37), but I'm definitely not the youngest. We had two girls start OD school at 19 !!!

Let see I am a older student and I think that it is a benefit because you have a clue how the real world works (Of course I am going to say that because I am old). No one at my school cares and most of them don't even know that I will be 30 very soon. Anyway this is the least of your concerns just always keep in the back of your mind how bad work sucks and you will do fine.

trojan1 said:
anyone have any idea on how optometry schools view non-traditional students...i'm 32 y.o...have an MBA from a pretty good b-school...and some solid professional work experience.

grazie!

Well trojan1, I am 30 and there are a couple of classmates over 30 as well. WE are in the beginning of our 2nd semester. There are a couple of 2nd, 3rd, & 4th years in the same gang at UHCO like cpw mentioned.

If you have completed an MBA, obviously you can accomplish the tasks at hand

Good Luck

Any non-trads going to NOVA in the Fall?