non-traditional pharmacy students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CMVpromoter

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the average age of pharmacy students?

Are there a lot of people who went into pharmacy from a previous career?
 
What is the average age of pharmacy students?

Are there a lot of people who went into pharmacy from a previous career?

Average age depends. At my school, I think it's 26 for our entering class.

There's a decent amount of people entering pharmacy from other careers. I started out in molecular biology research. As one of the pharmacists I know says, no one grows up wanting to be a pharmacist. While this may not be entirely true, especially with those with family members as pharmacists, it is true to a certain extent.

If you use the search function, you can probably find more answers.
 
Not sure of the actual statistics but there are quite a few second career students. A current student at Madison said she was surprized at the number of classmates with a PhD prior to entering pharmacy school.

some might be career students, but it seems unlikely they would get accepted into the program
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The average age in our class is late 20's as well. Previous careers of my classmates include: physician, dietician, research scientist, aerospace engineer, pharmaceutical sales rep, computer programmer, and elementary school teacher. I'm sure there are others! We have a very diverse class, and I love it. Many of my classmates will celebrate their 21st birthday during this first year of pharmacy school and I believe there is a similar number of classmates that are over 30, so it's a pretty even spread.