Non-Traditional Re-Applicant--Help!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I could use some advice--I am a dental school re-app (got rejected from Midwestern and ASDOH last year), majored in Business, have a 3.96 in sciences and 3.94 overall, and a DAT AA score of 19. I also have about 120 hours dental volunteer experience. What else can I can do to prepare for upcoming interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I could use some advice--I am a dental school re-app (got rejected from Midwestern and ASDOH last year), majored in Business, have a 3.96 in sciences and 3.94 overall, and a DAT AA score of 19. I also have about 120 hours dental volunteer experience. What else can I can do to prepare for upcoming interviews?

Your question should be more what you could/should have done for the past year to improve your situation than tips on "upcoming interviews", and that question should have been addressed to Mid/AZ. At first impression, the gpa and the dat scores appear to be out of sync.

have you discussed your app with MWU and ASDON- what were your weaknesses last year, what did you do to improve, is it you last final DAT, how many schools you applied and how late- those are things you should have thought when applying this year.
It sounds like you got some invites this year- interview feedback is pretty good source to prepare and so is reading up schools websites, old posts on SDN about prospective schools etc...

I talked to Mid, and they said to get more experience...I had had experience in a non-traditional setting--I worked with dentists on many many missions trips. And they mentioned doing a mock interview. My DAT score wasn't really a problem that they mentioned at all; I had scored a 21 on the reading comprehension portion, and that was the only score they were really interested in. I had also applied with plenty of time last year and got interviews in October. Thanks all for the input!