Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hello,

I’m looking for advice on how to apply and whether I even stand a chance applying for med school. I’m going to tell you a lot about myself and hopefully, you can help me out with some answers. I want to be a doctor, and I’m not 100 percent sure if it’s even possible anymore. I’m looking to see if I have a chance or if I need to turn my energy elsewhere.

First, about me:
I’m a 27 yom that graduated in 2013 with a BS in biochemistry. My science GPA is a 3.5, cGPA of 3.6. I have 3000 cumulative hours of research, and, at the time of my first application (2015), I had only a little bit of medically related experience. I took the MCAT in 2014, and got a 35. Based on my metrics, I thought I was going to find my way into med school without too much of a problem. I received no requests for interview. I applied again in 2016 but did not have the money to complete very many secondaries. I did not improve myself in any notable way that cycle, and I regret applying in that fashion. I applied once more in 2017 but similarly did not complete very many secondaries.

I acknowledge my shortcomings on reflection here: I did not change very much over the course of my reapplications, I did not have medical experience, I had not retested on the MCAT over the old form, and I did not provide a clear picture of my intent. I’m sure I have other issues, and I’m currently speaking to a consulting firm in an attempt to rectify those issues before I apply once more.

Since my last application:
I have been an EMT on an ALS unit in rural medicine for 2 years now. As part of that, I’ve run 20+ cardiac arrests, I’ve developed a patient care manner that I never would have had the chance to develop in med school, and I’ve had multiple leadership roles: I train incoming personnel as the field training officer. During a 10 casualty incident, I took command as the formal incident commander. As an extension of that incident, I was tasked with updating our mass casualty packs to meet modern problems. I also participated in our medical control authority meetings as a voting member.

I’ve taken a few more courses over the years and have brought my GPA up marginally. I had a preliminary evaluation with a consulting firm, and they stated their services would be helpful in my situation (honestly, what else would they say...but they do have a high success rate).

Here is my list of questions:

1a) Do I stand a chance of applying to allopathic schools or should I forgo that to work solely on osteopathic applications (I’ve only ever applied MD)? I fear being on my 4th submitted primary, most schools will just filter me out (my consulting firm stated this could be a very concerning issue)

1b) As an extension to the above, should I not reapply to those schools that I have applied to previously? Have I damaged my reputation with them by not completing their secondaries or performing weakly on a secondary application?

2)Is my lack of recent education a detriment? If I perform as strongly on my upcoming MCAT as I did previously, will schools even be worried about the gap in years since I finished my education? Once again the firm indicated this wouldn’t be an issue.

Overall, I think I have had an absurdly fortunate experience in that being an EMT has allowed me to hone my patient skills before I am focused on the education aspect. But I want to know, have I damaged my chances at acceptance due to my past actions?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and expertise.

1a) Do I stand a chance of applying to allopathic schools or should I forgo that to work solely on osteopathic applications (I’ve only ever applied MD)? I fear being on my 4th submitted primary, most schools will just filter me out (my consulting firm stated this could be a very concerning issue)

Your GPAs, while being on the lower end,for MD, are NOT lethal. You just need a good target list, focussing on schools where you stats are > thier 10th %iles. You should have some DO schools on the list just in case.

Keep in mind that your MCAT has expired so you will need to retake.

1b) As an extension to the above, should I not reapply to those schools that I have applied to previously? Have I damaged my reputation with them by not completing their secondaries or performing weakly on a secondary application?

It will be OK to reapply. Make sure to rewrite all essays.

2)Is my lack of recent education a detriment? If I perform as strongly on my upcoming MCAT as I did previously, will schools even be worried about the gap in years since I finished my education? Once again the firm indicated this wouldn’t be an issue.
Nope, what you need as a non-trad are those life experiences. You do need service to others less fortunate than yourself, and shadowing, if you don't have any,

Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
My general question was why you weren't interested in research before, given that you had 3000 hours. Yes, I think your lack of clinical exposure didn't help you the first time around and should help you now. If the research bug isn't that important to you, you should think about where you are applying for MD and DO with that in consideration. You should recheck the requirements for letters of evaluation to see whether your more recent supervisors can submit recommendations that can champion your experience working with patients and with your peers.

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.