Non-traditional Student study tips! From 16AA to 23AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Traeannah Brown

Reaction score
Hey
👋🏽
everybody! I just wanted to share my results and hopefully help those still studying, especially those who are non-traditional students and basically had to re-teach yourself everything.
I took the DAT for the second and hopefully last time on Monday and I’m super excited with how it turned out. Literally prayed for at least a 23 and God definitely showed up and showed out for me!
I graduated undergrad in 2014 and took the DAT in 2015 scoring poorly as you will see below. At that time I used my notes from classes. Cliffs AP bio book, and I had DAT destroyer books but didn’t fully utilize them. Let’s just say for my 1st tip: please don’t go into this test thinking you can just use what you learned in undergrad. It’s better to prepare with what is specifically on the test than to spend your time studying broadly from notes that may have not covered all of the topics you need to know.
I don’t even know what to say on the first test, I actually applied and thought by miracle I’d have a shot. I was naive.

This go around I used DAT Booster mainly and attribute a lot of my understanding things I feel weren’t even covered during my schooling to this program. I feel so much smarter today. It’s definitely thorough and enough! I too teetered with wondering if I should get both DAT booster and Bootcamp and honestly I didn’t need Bootcamp and I would have just paid an extra $500 without being able to use all of the resources. I gathered as much free PDFs, notes, Anki decks that could and used YouTube chad’s videos and “The organic chemistry tutor” free videos for things I wanted more explanation or practice in.

There is a lot of material Anki helped drive it in and made it stick.
I used Anki and PAT generators practice while waiting for food in line, or the elevator at work, waiting for the bus, anytime I waiting basically lol.
I did write out OC reactions on the blank sheets a few times and in the bath a couple times
😆

Completing practice problems earlier and as many as you can is key, so that you aren’t wasting time figuring out how to solve it.
I studied for 15 weeks; about 6-7 hours a day. I was working full-time, plus I’m a mother of a 3-year old.

In practice exams I was scoring around
17-19 in bio
18-20 in PAT
16-18 in GC
13-18 in OC
17-21 in RC
Literally consistent 13 in QR EVERY TEST! (That was frustrating) I’m good at math too! My problem was timing here I could only get about half done.
Originally I was “aiming for 30s, but after seeing my practice consistently being in these ranges I had to be realistic with my goal.
I do have to make up for a lower end GPA so
🙏🏾
🤞🏽
this will be enough. Happy to answer any questions! Thank you to everyone in this group for being so helpful and encouraging this process is tough, and isolating, but for those still studying it’s all worth it in the end!
DAT 1st Attempt.jpg
DAT 2nd Attempt.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a non-trad too. Did you remember all the info you learned during school?

I'm giving myself about 5 months to study, but I'm afraid since it's been so long ago that I don't remember anything.

I'm pretty much starting fresh when it comes to Quantitative Reasoning, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry - was it the same while you were reviewing?