Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here a non-traditional student? I am currently in my last year of PA school and have been really considering dental school. I was planning to work for about a year as a PA before applying to dental schools. My question is that would schools look down on students who have just finished another healthfield degree? Anyone with similar stories? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

While I haven't finished another healthcare related degree, I am a non-traditional applicant. The one thing that I think you will be quizzed over time and time again is "why the switch to dentistry?" thing. There is nothing wrong at all with wanting to join the elite segment of society known as dentists ( :D ), but you need to formulate a concise response to such a question that will demonstrate your understanding of the field, clarify your motives, and communicate that this career is the one that you want for yourself. Doing so will not only help you out should you decide to go on, but more importantly it will help you codify and affirm to yourself if you are or are not making the right decision. Best of luck!

Sprgrover said:
While I haven't finished another healthcare related degree, I am a non-traditional applicant. The one thing that I think you will be quizzed over time and time again is "why the switch to dentistry?" thing. There is nothing wrong at all with wanting to join the elite segment of society known as dentists ( :D ), but you need to formulate a concise response to such a question that will demonstrate your understanding of the field, clarify your motives, and communicate that this career is the one that you want for yourself. Doing so will not only help you out should you decide to go on, but more importantly it will help you codify and affirm to yourself if you are or are not making the right decision. Best of luck!

I agree. I think that the schools won't care much about the healthcare switch, but more about your genuine interest in dentistry. I think that they want smart people, specifically smart people who really want to be dentists. My own background is business development/product management for a failed software start-up and a military contractor. I was only asked once for real detail about my past and it was by a former Air Force colonel at San Antonio (saw my military contracting experience). It seems that they are more focused on where you are going.

My advice is to study really hard for the DAT and use all the available resources (check out the DAT forum). I think the folks that did well above average can testify to the fact that it scores lots of interviews and acceptances.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
There is nothing wrong at all with wanting to join the elite segment of society known as dentists ( :D ), but you need to formulate a concise response to such a question that will demonstrate your understanding of the field, clarify your motives, and communicate that this career is the one that you want for yourself.

It is a good to have this response even if you are not a non-traditional student. You WILL be asked "Why dentistry?," at an interview. You must have a prepared answer.

I have been a registered nurse for 9 years an I just got accepted. I think that if you switch after only 1 year they may question it so you had better have a good response. The "why not med school" question came up for me during the interview but luckily I have had 9 years to come up with a good answer. Personally I think that most adcoms will either feel neutral about it or will actually like the fact that you have experience in healthcare.