Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Satori1977

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I am not the only one. I found this forum by accident a few weeks ago, and have lurked a couple times. I thought I was crazy for having these fantasies of vet school again, until I started reading in here. So here is my story...
First, I am 30 (going to be 31 in December). Ever since I was a kid, I have dreamed about becoming a vet. Graduated high school in '96 and was a biology/zoology major. After 2 years, I was burnt out. Spent a lot of time partying (grew up in a strict house, and first time on my own I went nuts). Went from an A student in hs, to almost failing first year of college. Second year I did better, but my heart wasn't in it. I wondered if I was making a mistake...I mean, I had my whole academic career figured out in elementary school. I was scared. So I dropped out and worked for a year as a vet assistant. That is where I learned about vet technology and decided that is what I would do. Less stress, less schooling. I figured it was perfect since obviously I wasn't smart enough for vet school (that was my frame of mind then after almost failing out of school...if I couldn't make it through my undergrad, no way would I make it through vet school). I moved from NY to Colorado to go to school, I desperately needed a change. Graduated in 2001. Worked for a couple of years, then decided to go back to school for my bachelors. Vet school was in the back of my mind, but I was trying not to get too far ahead of myself. Then I got pregnant. Took time off of work (and from school). Now several years later, I am married, have two kids, still no bachelors, but am working at an emergency vet hospital. I have a friend a few years younger than me who is working on her pre-vet studies, and it got me dreaming of vet school again. After all this time, I still want it. But I thought I was too old. I still need the pre-reqs and an undergrad degree. So many science classes I took in my freshman and sophmore year would have to be repeated since they are over 10 years old. I just don't know how doable it is anymore. But I feel like I have to try, right? It would be nice to hear from others in similar situations who are making it work (or have done it). I can't be the only one doing it this way, later in life, with a family? I could use some encouragement. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm also going on 30, still trying to get in. However, you do have to be a pragmatist. How old are your kids? Are you financially able to support your studies and your family? Do you have additional support from someone else?

Personally, if you don't have the right answers to those questions, I'd say you would be better off finding another goal for the near future, and then consider vet school later in life if you still want that.

If you are financially able to go back to school, have someone to help you with your family, and believe that you will be able to dedicate the next 6-8 years (4 years vet school + 2-3 years pre-req.) for this goal, then go for it!

But thats only my opinion

Never ever think you're "too old" or that it's "too late" - there are a good number of people in my class, and in my school in general, in their mid to late thirties - some even mid and late forties. And you don't feel like the odd one out because you're older at all. The older non-trads integrate with the younger straight-out-of-college-ers perfectly well - we're all in it together. Some of my best friends at school are much older than me (I'm a measly 24), are married, have kids, etc...Definitely don't write it off as being "too late" at all!:)

You need to go back and at least complete pre-reqs - having a, actual bachelors is not a requirement set in stone at all schools as long as you've gotten all of the required coursework done (and done well) and have experience. You have a ton of experience, so that helps also. Really it would come down to finances and figuring out how to make it work with your family.

Members don't see this ad :)
30?? Pfah! I'm 34! Of course, I didn't get in last year!

I am married and going to turn 26 in December. I am probably more non-trad than most. I was a graphic designer but never really got over my dream of being a vet.

I think the advantage of pursuing veterinary science as a second career is that, I realize how much I really want it and how much is missing in my life if I don't follow through on my dream. I probably wouldn't have been ready to put in the work right out of high school.

I have a tough time even balancing my marriage and going to school full time for the pre-reqs. I imagine it will be even tougher for you with kids. I totally respect you wanting to pursue your dream. If you have a good support system, good child care and a husband who works 9-5 you can definitely make it work!

Your story kinda sounds like where I was a bunch of years ago. I was around your age when I transferred to a 4 yr institution to finish up pre-reqs.

I'm 34 and currently in my second application cycle.

I would talk to your husband and really discuss how life will change. It's not a cake walk. You will feel naked without your planner or pda. Child care is not going to be optional. You are going to need a back up for your back up, and it won't be cheap.

My recommendation would be to take it slow until you are sure you can handle a full-time course load (especially with math and science courses making and breaking applications). This would be a great opportunity to take those older pre-reqs. There are also schools that will waive the minimum number of years of completion, if your current work is up to par.
A lot of community colleges have reciprocal agreements with their local university, so those "try out" courses may count toward credit for transfer.

Something to consider before you take an online/distance course. Some vet schools will take online coursework from specific colleges and universities. Others may not take online courses at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about finishing up the bachelors, unless the vet school requires you to have one. Most do not.

I hope this helps. There are way more of us than people think.

I'm 41 and still trying. If it wasn't for my husband, I don't know where I'd be. He's good at reminding me that I have to continuously make sacrifices to become a vet. While my kids were at home, I didn't feel right about missing their sporting/school events, so my grades suffered. Then working full time brought other barriers that also interfered with school. It took me a couple of years to decide that not only did I love going to school, but I had to find a way to pay the bills without going to work all day!

This is my first year of not working 40+ hours during the day, and my third of five in undergrad school. As with anything else, you always have to find YOUR balance. Some people are willing to give up things that other's just can't. Not every path is the same, but if it works for you, and is meant to be, it will fall into place. Try it, if it doesn't work, at least you know what it will take and try again when your kids are older.

It's never too late - I'm 41. Just going to school is a dream I feel I have achieved. I no longer "wish" I had gone back to school.

You definitely are NOT the only one, or even one of only a few. There are many of us going for our dream later in life than the 'trads'. My story is very similar to yours minus the marriage and children(so far!). Ever since I was in elementary school, I've wanted to be a Veterinarian.

I was adopted in the later elementary school years, and had a few social/attention span problems. School bored me, elem. and high school alike, so homework was not interesting. Hardly an attention span = not wanting to sit and do homework that was boring, especially when I could be outside doing 'fun' things instead. I got great test grades(admittedly not much studying involved), but my overall grades were really horrible because of not handing in homework on time. By the time I realised how important grades would be(early HS), it was habit for me to be lazy with homework. I graduated with poor grades, but still went to college right out of HS. Bad, bad idea, but in the end I think was the best choice for me.

I also come from a very strict family, and the first chance I got to be away from home freshman year, I started partying, skipping classes, etc. I nearly failed the first year, got my act together a bit more second year, was all fired up about third year, and then the bomb hit me. The lender I was using changed their policy, where now ALL applicants needed to have a co-signer no matter what. I didn't have one, my parents' refused(who can blame them really?) So, I had no money for school and no way to get scholarships with my grades from first year on my transcript. I had to drop out. I figured that's it, I can't do school anymore. I messed up royally and now I will pay for it and get stuck doing some mediocre job I don't really enjoy for the rest of my life.

I moved back to my hometown and have been working there the last 4 years in various jobs. In that time span, I have hit rock-bottom in various aspects. Learned some very valuable life lessons, and all-in-all I believe I am a much better person and better equipped for vet school because of the problems I had the first time I went to college.

A couple jobs I had were on pig farms, which I absolutely loved, and have turned my mind back to the Veterinary field. My heart is still in it very much. It is still my life's goal and I would regret it very much if I did not even try to achieve it. I decided, definitively, that next fall I will start taking my prerequisites at the college in town while working full time at a local bar/grill. I will be working 50 or so hours a week, so will only be taking around 1-2 classes a semester. Hopefully, combination of on campus and online, taking classes Fall, Spring and Summer semesters to finish as soon as possible. And, of course, vol

Before I get accepted to Vet School(maybe someday? LOL), I probably will get married and have children. Only God knows. What I do know is that I have to keep trying. I'm very set on going to school now, I've matured tremendously, have dealt with issues from the past and feel that I am now ready to persue my life's dream of being a Vet. It CAN be done, no matter how old you are, or what happened in the past. Don't give up, even if others tell you to. It IS worth it in the end.

Hi Wolfspeaker,

Regarding your loan situation, it sounds like you're now 25+ which allows you to qualify for government direct loans on your own and without a credit check. It will be tough to work 50 hours a week and take even 1-2 science classes. I am also a non trad and worked full time while taking 2 classes my first year back and I was about maxed out. I finally decided to go all out and commit myself to school full time and cut back work to part time. Plus it seems like adcoms like to see if you can handle a full load of classes. A lot of us on the forum work part time and go to school full time (though you will find a few of those nutty people who do both full time :p)

Another concern would be how old your earlier classes will be once you are able to finish the pre-reqs, usually they take about 2 years to finish on a full time basis. A lot of schools have cut offs at 8-10 years since you took the class.

Just some food for thought!

just a quick word of encouragement, we have a ton of parents and even single moms in our class. Several of us are in our 30's some in their 40's... The oldest person to graduate from our program was 64. Don't stop dreaming, you can do this! (from one of the 30+ students!!) you're going to reach 40 or 50 or 60 anyway... might as well be doing what you want when you get there right?

Hello everyone! I am so thankful for this thread.

I am 30 with two small children ( ages 3 and 2). My husband is a Marine (currently deployed). While I know it won't be easy, I'm going for it anyway.

I am working on my bachelor's in nursing right now. I chose nursing so that I could work, and make decent money, while I was working on the vet school pre-reqs. I won't be entering vet school until I'm around 35, if I get in on the first try.

I figure, I'm going to be 40 whether I'm a vet or not, right? Why not at least try? I don't want to look back on my life with regrets for not chasing my dream. Better late than never! Good luck to all of you! This forum is wonderful. :)

I'm a 32 year old first-year vet student who had all of the same worries and concerns that all of you had and I have to say that all of the sacrifices (applications, classes, stress) are 100% worth it. I shudder to think how different my life would have been had I not applied one more time and finally got myself a seat in vet school. It's very hard (but doable) and very rewarding.

I should also mention that I'm married to a wonderfully supportive husband who has his own interests and passions in life. That really helps. Also, there are plenty of Moms and Dads in my class and the upper classes who are making it work. It's hard, but again, it's doable.

Just put the blinders on and keep working toward your goal and don't even think twice about your age or being a parent or whatever other obstacles you can throw up there for yourself. There are actually quite a few benefits to being an older student in my humble opinion.

And now it's time for me to stop procrastinating and study :)!

I'd like to hear from parents (moms especially) who have balanced school and kids. How do you do it?

Here's my situation: I am 29 and have never taken a single college course. I got very very burned out on school back in high school, and graduated with a disappointing GPA of 2.9. This was due to simply not caring anymore. I purposely didn't go to college after that because I knew I wouldn't be fresh and also because I didn't yet know what I wanted to do with my life. Also, I planned to marry and have kids and I figured any degree I got prior to that would be outdated by the time they were old enough for me to use the degree, as I knew a ton of people who ended up never using their degrees once they had kids.

For the past couple years I've been itching to go back to school. But I now have 3 kids and none of them are school-age yet (oldest is 4 and youngest is only 2 months old). I don't have the money to pay for childcare for three kids, and I'm not comfortable with them spending the majority of the day away from me even if I did. I've often considered homeschooling my kids because I was homeschooled all the way up until high school and excelled (4.0 every year until I started having to go to classes for 8 hours a day with 2-4 hours of homework on top of that). And I always tested years ahead of my peers. BUT. If I homeschool then going back to school for myself is pretty much out of the question I imagine. If I'm wrong I'd love to figure out a way to do both.

I am clueless enough to not even know how many actual hours a day are spent in class if you are a full time student. I could probably balance homework while taking care of my kids (I'm willing to try anyway) if I could just have them somewhere during the actual class times.

Why am I posting here, you probably are wondering. Well. I have decided that if I DO go back to school I should do something worthwhile, and I've always had a passion for animals. A realistic passion I should add. I have cared for hundreds of different species in my lifetime (due in large part to my father's penchant for collecting wierd pets) and I have also done volunteer work at humane societies, so I would like to think I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses about what veterinarians do. My dad is a PhD in biochemistry so he's always instilled a love of science in me. I don't want to be a doctor on humans at all, but to be one for animals appeals strongly.

I live in Colorado so I would hope to get in at CSU, which I've heard about all my life as a great vet school and where my parents both went for awhile (I was born in Fort Collins). But I currently live in Aurora and need to get some good grades at a junior or community college before I can even be accepted as an undergrad to somewhere like CSU.

I'm looking for stories of people who have been there done that (or are doing that) and what it is realistically like. Thanks in advance.

As my Genetics Prof said last year regarding my age at graduation, " I can see you wheeling yourself up to the microscope in your wheelchair and finding something worthwile". I threw away my age "card" after that!

As for having really young ones and taking full/heavy class and study load. My husband and I found ourselves as emergency foster parents last year to a 2 month old and a 14 month old. While I was determined not to let it affect me at school, ear infections, doctor appointments, child care issues and oh yeah HEAD LICE changed my perfect attendance streak. Unless you have someone who can take over whenever something like that happens, it will definately affect your grades. Sure, you may be able to calm a baby at 2am, and stay up studying, but come test time your brain will simply go on strike. You may even end up sick yourself. Don't get me wrong - I don't want to be "Debbie Downer", but you asked, and I have lived this. What about on-line classes? Alot of schools offer these. The only drawbacks are for the classes that require a lab.

Keep trying and don't give up. You will find a way to balance it all.