• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Non-Traditional Student

truelee33

Apr 4, 2012
  1. Podiatry Student
    I am headed to Temple in the Fall. I am a pretty non-traditional student: 27 yrs, married, one 3 year old and another due in September. This Fall will be busy and most likely a little stressful. Because of the little ones, my wife will not be working at least initially. I won't be able to work. I know someone before me has done this though. I have to figure out a way to survive financially both paying expensive tuition, buying health insurance for the fam, and providing for the fam in general.

I am familiar with government loans and the whole FAFSA process. I am sure the financial advisor at Temple will be able to help me sort things out, but I wanted to post on here to see if there is anyone out there who has gone through the same thing and survived. Are there any untapped or obscure financial aid programs out there that helped you? Any recommendations on health insurance, etc.? I need enough to pay tuition (~34g/yr) and maybe another 30-35g/yr to maintain my household. I'm also finishing up an MPH program which means for about a year I will be paying around another 6g in tuition there. Any reccomendations would be GREATLY appreciated!

amaprez

Jul 19, 2011
      Don't feel too special. 27 years old is not THAT nontraditional. You might be likely to have a couple of classmates in their 30's. Having a family is not uncommon in podiatry too, especially among the Mormon crowd.

SuperFeisty

7+ Year Member
      Jun 21, 2011
      1. Podiatry Student
        You might be able to max out your federal stafford unsubsidized, but that's not enough to cover. From what I see on our financial stuff, you then apply for the higher % graduate plus loan?

About the Ads

truelee33

Apr 4, 2012
        1. Podiatry Student
          I don't feel special. I am just reaching out to see if anyone has anything constructive to say. I am glad to hear that the situation is not that uncommon. I imagine there is someone out there who might leave a worthwhile response to my post then.

heybrother

10+ Year Member
          Oct 17, 2011
          1. Podiatrist
            Loans and finances are seldom ever discussed on this forum which is a shame. The federal graduate loans that most acquire are intended solely for the student - not to support their family. Out of curiosity - what does your wife do for a living when she is employed? Had you given any thought to deferring a year so that she could be settled and employed and you could possibly achieve Pennsylvania residency and avoid the out of state rate?

amaprez

Jul 19, 2011
              I don't feel special. I am just reaching out to see if anyone has anything constructive to say. I am glad to hear that the situation is not that uncommon. I imagine there is someone out there who might leave a worthwhile response to my post then.

Folks this post is the very definition of 'subtle snark' :laugh: Love it! (especially since I had it coming)

I did a search of relevant threads for you:

Supporting a Family with non private loans?
              Do student loans pay enough?
              Non trad (family of 4) do loans cover expenses?

truelee33

Apr 4, 2012
              1. Podiatry Student
                That's more like it Amaprez. Thanks for those threads! It looks like many have attended med school while not working and maintaining a larger family than myself. That is encouraging.

Heybrother - I have thought about deferring mostly because my wife is due in September and the insurance I have through work will cover it. Now in August, we will lose that. Ultimately, me going back to med school is very important to me and we feel enough time has already passed.

Thanks!

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.