NON-TRADITIONAL Students Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any non-traditional students get in?

where?
how old r u ?

thnx!:)

Members don't see this ad.

sumozmom said:

where?
how old r u ?

Define "non traditional" pls...

Members don't see this ad :)
sumozmom said:

where?
how old r u ?

I just got an acceptance from NYU this afternoon!!! I am 31 and just started going back to school in January 2005 to finish my dental prereqs. I had been working for two years after graduating in December 2002 with a Masters in MIS. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
MissingPolaris said:
Define "non traditional" pls...
well like maybe 30 and over ( or 27 + ) People that have worked yeard after grad w/ a BS/BA and maybe making a carreerrrrrr change .....

Well I have been working for four years and going back to school. I graduated with MIS also in 2001. Got accepted by lousiville.. hopefully more ...heheh

I suppose I am non traditional.

I only am in my third year of undergrad and I am not going to get my bs before I matriculate.

what kid of stats didu get in with and what kinda advise do u have if u had to di it again?

I just turned 32 this past weekend. Have a chemical engineering degree from 1994, with 3 yrs work experience. Worked 1 year as an assisted living caretaker, 1 year as EMT, finished 2 years of post-bacc work last spring...was accepted to Creighton, NYU, and put on 'next to be called' list at Louisville.

mochafreak said:
I just turned 32 this past weekend. Have a chemical engineering degree from 1994, with 3 yrs work experience. Worked 1 year as an assisted living caretaker, 1 year as EMT, finished 2 years of post-bacc work last spring...was accepted to Creighton, NYU, and put on 'next to be called' list at Louisville.
u busted ur butt to get ur 4.0 i bet-
what was the THING that got u in , in ur opinion...?

ur doggie is cute-how old?

I am 27 with a ChE degree. I returned to school in January to finish the biology courses that I lacked. I was accepted to OK today. I still have another interview at Temple next week too, so we'll see.

age 28 -- assoc degree in computer networking systems -- 5 years as a computer network administrator -- now finishing up my neuroscience undergrad degree -- accepted today to san antonio

sumozmom said:

where?
how old r u ?

I am 30, In Utah and got acceptance today from UNLV, OK and IN with more to come. I droppe outta college my freshman year, been working full time and only back in school for the last three years. I was told at all my interviews that our old age IS an advantage, so don't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 34 year old non-traditional (Geez, am I that old already!). Earned a businees degree back in '94. Started my pre-reqs 3 years ago. Received 1 acceptance so far...hopefully more to come...but 1 is enough for me!

DentalNerd said:
I'm a 34 year old non-traditional (Geez, am I that old already!). Earned a businees degree back in '94. Started my pre-reqs 3 years ago. Received 1 acceptance so far...hopefully more to come...but 1 is enough for me!
how did u do on ur stats - where did u get accpted?

sumozmom said:
u busted ur butt to get ur 4.0 i bet-
what was the THING that got u in , in ur opinion...?

ur doggie is cute-how old?

With my gpa I had to have a great post-bacc gpa and DAT, but it's really the whole app that gets you in when you have a low gpa, IMO.

My doggie is seven btw.

accepted to colorado today. i am 29 and have been working for the U.S. fish&wildlife for the past 5 years.
3.6gpa
20/20/18

I am 28 and I will be applying next cycle. 3.7 sci gpa with 3.5ish overall. Still have two terms of Ochem and 2 terms of physics to go. I'm really hoping to join you guys next cycle.

Go non-trads!

I am so surprised there are so many non-tradtional students who are MIS major!!! I got my master in MIS too! And I have been a graphic designer for 3 years!!
just got accepted by CASE and USC!!

I am 32 and I am applying for next cycle. I am so happy for you guys and gals who got in this year. Congrats to everybody! :thumbup:

I'm 28 and graduated in '99 with a BS in Bio and BA in Psych. I've been working as a clinical lab technician the past 4 years and served in AmeriCorp for a year after college. I feel the experiences that I've been able to have as a non-traditional student have definately been a positive influence on my application.

At a recent interview, the dean mentioned that in terms of student diversity he wished they could have more non-trads. He felt the qualities, experience, and maturity they bring would benefit the school but that they often don't test as well. So if you score well on the DAT, have good grades, and show that you've put your years out of school to good use then you should have no worries.

I just heard from the U. of Washington and UPenn! I had four other interviews I haven't heard from yet and more invites but I'm set.

And if you're curious....
GPA 3.58/science GPA 3.36
DAT 21AA/21TS/27PA

Good luck to all!

orthofem said:
age 28 -- assoc degree in computer networking systems -- 5 years as a computer network administrator -- now finishing up my neuroscience undergrad degree -- accepted today to san antonio
Interesting I have an accounting BS but am a network engineer - what changed ur mind to get into dentistry?

Gasedo said:
I am 32 and I am applying for next cycle. I am so happy for you guys and gals who got in this year. Congrats to everybody! :thumbup:
What school do u have ur heart on and what r ur stats.

Mine really are not very good - instill tsking pre-rec and have to take my DAT. I have some time...

i think the avg age of those entering dental school is 24-25. This # tells u that many people take a yr or two off befor the decide that. i think it's pretty normal for in their late 20's or 30's to apply. by the way, i'm 26.

I'm 30 and graduated from the Naval Academy in '97 with a Mechanical Engineering degree. Have served as a Navy pilot since then and am finishing up the general biology prereqs next semester. I got an acceptance to Creighton yesterday! Overall GPA 3.01, science 2.90, BCP 3.33, DAT 22/22/19. Congrats to all and good luck.

Have you ever flew a helicopter? I am fascinated by this machine!!!!!!!!! and actually put aside some savings to get certified to fly private heli.
oh by the way I am also a non traditional, just started my interview processes.
good luck all?

adr12 said:
I'm 30 and graduated from the Naval Academy in '97 with a Mechanical Engineering degree. Have served as a Navy pilot since then and am finishing up the general biology prereqs next semester. I got an acceptance to Creighton yesterday! Overall GPA 3.01, science 2.90, BCP 3.33, DAT 22/22/19. Congrats to all and good luck.

Have you ever flew a helicopter? I am fascinated by this machine!!!!!!!!! and actually put aside some savings to get certified to fly private heli.
good luck all

adr12 said:

spinnOr said:
accepted to colorado today. i am 29 and have been working for the U.S. fish&wildlife for the past 5 years.
3.6gpa
20/20/18

If you don't mind me asking, what have you been doing for USF&W? If dentistry weren't an option, I think wildlife biology would be a fascinating career. Why the career change?

I am 29 and will be 30 before I start next fall. I have worked full time during the day and have done most of my schooling in the afternoon and night. I am married with a few kids. Dental school will be difficult but it will also be a sort of a break from the schedule that I now have. I think we non trads do well because we understand how to balance things out in our lives. It is very important because burnout can occur if you're not careful.

hairybagel said:
I am 29 and will be 30 before I start next fall. I have worked full time during the day and have done most of my schooling in the afternoon and night. I am married with a few kids. Dental school will be difficult but it will also be a sort of a break from the schedule that I now have. I think we non trads do well because we understand how to balance things out in our lives. It is very important because burnout can occur if you're not careful.
good luck where do u think u will go?

I'm 27, married, and have a BA in Cartography and GIS from Wisconsin. After selling maps for a year or so I decided it's time to pick a real career! Had a crapping Cumulative GPA (Madison is fun and I was an athlete) of 2.225 (ouch). I know, pretty embarassing. Went back to school for 2.5 years fulltime taking all prereq's, got about a 3.9 for 60 credits, did a 21/21/19 on the DAT, worked part-time in a dental lab as a plaster monkey, and made it into Buffalo at 12a.m. Dec. 1. My Cumulative is up to a 2.7, with a 2.99 science (from some bad grades in math long ago) and a 3.90 BCP. Being non-traditional and not having a good academic record before taking on this challenge forced me to be perfect on all the 'intangibles'. I know this is cliche, but if you want it to happen, just make it freakin' happen.

sumozmom said:

where?
how old r u ?

I'm 31 and got into USC. I'm also married and Mexican (Minority Status I guess...), also very poor....so yeah...very Non-Traditional. What's traditional anyway? I think as students, we tend to be very poor anyways :rolleyes:

Ronald Jeremy said:
I'm 27, married, and have a BA in Cartography and GIS from Wisconsin. After selling maps for a year or so I decided it's time to pick a real career! Had a crapping Cumulative GPA (Madison is fun and I was an athlete) of 2.225 (ouch). I know, pretty embarassing. Went back to school for 2.5 years fulltime taking all prereq's, got about a 3.9 for 60 credits, did a 21/21/19 on the DAT, worked part-time in a dental lab as a plaster monkey, and made it into Buffalo at 12a.m. Dec. 1. My Cumulative is up to a 2.7, with a 2.99 science (from some bad grades in math long ago) and a 3.90 BCP. Being non-traditional and not having a good academic record before taking on this challenge forced me to be perfect on all the 'intangibles'. I know this is cliche, but if you want it to happen, just make it freakin' happen.
u inspire my

GOOD LUCK -
thnx

Ronald Jeremy said:
u inspire mee

GOOD LUCK -
thnx

headsup said:
good luck all?
Yeah, I flew SH-60 helicopters out of San Diego for 4 years before moving back to florida to instruct in single engine planes. Helicopters are a lot of fun, try them out some time. Good luck to you in the application process!

ya ---- for us oldies but goodies!!!!