Noninterventional Cardiology

Started by Brown429
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brown429

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am really interested in cardiology. However, I am not sure about the lifestyle. I want to do Non-interventional because I do not like surgery and love cardiology... However, lifestyle is HUGE factor for me. I want to work about 45-50 hours a week..the normal 7-4 type deal.

Can someone tell me what the lifestyle of a cardiologist (noninter) is like?
Also, one of the drawbacks is that the residency is 6 years!! I mean you have a "late" start in life already...adding another 6 after medical school is a lot.

Also, how is residency?
I really am interested in medicine..but the fields that interest me at this point require too much sacrifice...sacrifice that I am not willing to make.
 
Honestly, if this is your goal prior to residency, you might want to think about a field like derm. There are cardiologists who work 45-50 hours but they are somewhat limited. You certainly have more flexibility in private practice but cardiology fellowship is fairly intense across the board.