(Nonsexual) Masochism and Self-Defeating Behavior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwillheal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any good source on this, one that summarizes different views? Read some papers by Baumeister on self defeating behavior which he relates to "threatened egotism" and "self regulation failure", and of course there are some older psydynamic texts on masochism (mostly sexual aspects). But can't find a good summary and integration. Nor good articles on self-defeating/masochism resulting from depression; or difference between the two concepts (e.g. a very driven person is not self defeating but potentially a little masochistic given the sacrifices needed to attain certain goal). Etc. Appreciate any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

I was at a grand rounds only a week ago where the speaker (Nancy McWilliams) read a paper on this exact topic that is due to be published in the next few months... It was exceptional. Look out for it!

I was at a grand rounds only a week ago where the speaker (Nancy McWilliams) read a paper on this exact topic that is due to be published in the next few months... It was exceptional. Look out for it!

Wow, thank you for sharing. I like Nancy McWilliams. Psychodynamics with a healthy dose of humanism. Very much looking forward to reading the paper.