NonTrad considering PharmD

Started by MIGLdr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MIGLdr

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN. I'm a nontrad considering PharmD. Here is some info about myself:

-UG in Business Admin (2003) 3.5 GPA (super-competitive program)

-Worked in IT Consulting from 2003-2006, was somewhat successful, got promotions, raises, etc... had a love/hate relationship with it (more hate than love, 65:35 ratio)

-Left consulting and took a part-time job to take med school prereqs in 2007. I got A's and A-'s in all my Bio/Physics/Chem courses with the exception of one B+ in Orgo II 😛 .

-Last volunteer stint was 50ish hours at a hospital in a variety of roles.

-Applied to med school in 2008, but I took the MCAT really late (September lol). Score was 10/10/9, with the niner in physical sciences. Was not very successful though 🙂

I'm enrolled in a Masters of Information Technology program at the moment, but I find myself more and more interested in Pharmacy instead: more "community oriented focus," lifestyle, and it just intrinsically appeals to my personality.

I wanted to check on a few things:
-Will my premed prereqs be sufficient for most pharmD programs? That is 1 year of bio, gchem, ochem, physics with respective lab

-What are my odds for F'10 admission if I take the August or October PCAT? For med the answer would have been: "Try Again Next Year."

-Would it be worthwhile to enroll in pharmacy tech school and try to work as a tech before admissions?
 
Your MCAT score isn't bad. Its good enough to get in depending on where you live.
 
Hey there -

I am in a similar situation. I hope to apply to pharmacy school this year for 2010, as a nontrad. I am trying to get my foot in the door somewhere. I am having a hard time finding something part time, that will work with my current job. But from the admissions folks I have spoken to so far, they tell me it is standard to have tech experience before applying.

Either way, you have a pretty good MCAT score! I couldn't break 25. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN. I'm a nontrad considering PharmD. Here is some info about myself:

-UG in Business Admin (2003) 3.5 GPA (super-competitive program)

-Worked in IT Consulting from 2003-2006, was somewhat successful, got promotions, raises, etc... had a love/hate relationship with it (more hate than love, 65:35 ratio)

-Left consulting and took a part-time job to take med school prereqs in 2007. I got A's and A-'s in all my Bio/Physics/Chem courses with the exception of one B+ in Orgo II 😛 .

-Last volunteer stint was 50ish hours at a hospital in a variety of roles.

-Applied to med school in 2008, but I took the MCAT really late (September lol). Score was 10/10/9, with the niner in physical sciences. Was not very successful though 🙂

I'm enrolled in a Masters of Information Technology program at the moment, but I find myself more and more interested in Pharmacy instead: more "community oriented focus," lifestyle, and it just intrinsically appeals to my personality.

I wanted to check on a few things:
-Will my premed prereqs be sufficient for most pharmD programs? That is 1 year of bio, gchem, ochem, physics with respective lab

-What are my odds for F'10 admission if I take the August or October PCAT? For med the answer would have been: "Try Again Next Year."

-Would it be worthwhile to enroll in pharmacy tech school and try to work as a tech before admissions?


PharmD with IT can open a lot of doors. You will be fine.